BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my alternator died on me a few months back decided hay im gonna buy a 200 amp alternator instead of the 120.....why cuz i was gonna throw a audio system in later!

but sometimes im driving the battery light flashes for a quick second and go away at complete random......i check the voltage the voltage is 14.1-14.3 all the time....

but this is where it gets confusing i went to auto zone to run a test the first said my battery was bad, did it again then my alternator was bad, did it again my regulator is bad and over and over....

if my window is up and the ac is on and i press the window up button again i can see i huge dip in voltage,idle drop and ac blower slow down for a quick second!

can it be a ground issue?
anyone else having these weird things going on

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like a ground issue for sure... Check the ground in the trunk, I have had some problems in the past with that...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you press the window up button do you see your idle drop?? at all cuz i dont think it should!

·
Registered
92 Posts
No, but i had problems with the ground... The lights in my car would go dim when it wasnt on... Check the grounds and check ur spark plugs... Thats what i would do.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spark plugs just changed like a week ago so that cant be it..........bout what about the ground am i looking for exactly?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Ground from the passenger side motor mount to the frame can sometimes be an issue. Usually the connection to the frame rail on the passenger side can be a problem.

Pulling the window button up when the window is closed will cause the lights to dim a bit on a good car, so the level of dimming is relative?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts