BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you know how many watts you're feeding into your speakers and subwoofers at a given time? For instance, I have two JL 10w6v2s in my car and it's recommended that they not exceed anything over 400 watts, but how do you know if you're exceeding that amount? Same goes for speakers. They have power handling levels, well for mine, from 20-150 watts, but how do you know exactly how many watts you're feeding into them at a given time? If you turn up the volume, I assume it draws more power (watts), but how do you know if you're exceeding the recommended power level?

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
a real rough way to calculate.

"take the pos lead of the dmm and place it on the pos output of the amp(speaker wire),do the same with the neg lead of the dmm and place it on the neg output of the amp.

turn the dmm to ac.....play a test tone(easier for a steady output),but remember thats output to a tone NOT music.

ie...say you get 40

you multiply the # you get by itself,ie...40x40

then you divide by the ohm load of the amp(1,2,3,4....depending on speaker coils)

40x40/1=1600 watts
"

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dmm? Sigh, how would I go about doing this without having to hook up anything? I just want to make sure that the level i'm playing my system isn't exceeding the recommended power handling level. I would connect what you're talking about, but it's difficult to get to the wires with my setup.

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
JB28 said:
Dmm? Sigh, how would I go about doing this without having to hook up anything? I just want to make sure that the level i'm playing my system isn't exceeding the recommended power handling level. I would connect what you're talking about, but it's difficult to get to the wires with my setup.

you saying u cant even access the speaker output terminals of your amp??

in that case tell me what your setup is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can access the amp for my speakers, but the subwoofer amp is mounted on the back of the enclosure, so it would be hard for me to get to it. :banghead:

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
Delirium said:
are subs really that delicate? I thought JL, eclipse, and many other subs can handle double the rated RMS power.

Its thermal handling that can really kill a sub w/o people realizing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts