E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Power Folding Mirrors

896 Views 15 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  JensE46
My car is non memory manual seats. I bought some power folding mirrors with the associated switch. I also bought the power folding module part no. 61358376506. My question is where does the module go? I know it goes behind the glovebox but there is no connector. Everything I've read on forums just says it goes behind the glovebox it does t specify anything else. Is there something I'm missing?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
It's mounted in this white plastic bracket (bottom left). Good luck with all the wiring
Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design
See less See more
It's mounted in this white plastic bracket (bottom left). Good luck with all the wiring View attachment 972811
Do you mind if I pick your brain for a few things? I noticed you were in the UK, I'm in the US so I don't know if the wiring or other things are different from our cars. Do you happen to have a fuse on the no 57 slot? Also I need to check again but I don't remember seeing that connector back there I know that our cars are pre wired for a lot of things and have connectors hidden in the wiring loom so maybe it's there. Thanks for the help.
You're overestimating my level of expertise.
Most of the wiring differences would be down to year, not market, but I wouldn't expect a significant change to this part of it.
I do have a fuse on 57, from memory, but don't have the car to check.
Which connector are you referring to, the one that plugs into the folding module?
You're overestimating my level of expertise.
Most of the wiring differences would be down to year, not market, but I wouldn't expect a significant change to this part of it.
I do have a fuse on 57, from memory, but don't have the car to check.
Which connector are you referring to, the one that plugs into the folding module?
After a lot of reading on old forum posts that are now dead and have no viewable pictures your answer was the first answer I've seen that is kind of pointing in the right direction. Yes I was talking about the connector for the power folding module. From what I've read is that if I have no power seats and don't want memory on the mirrors all I needed was to purchase the right mirror switch and the power folding module to make them fold. I haven't come across a post or someone that has actually done it just people's opinions on what must be done. Again thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
For pre-facelift (ribbon) mirrors, I believe your approach is correct.
This russian post (you mostly need the pics anyway) seems to show a pre facelift car
For pre-facelift (ribbon) mirrors, I believe your approach is correct.
This russian post (you mostly need the pics anyway) seems to show a pre facelift car
I have a facelift (2004) but with no ribbon connector, but I will give this a read and see if I can find anything. Thank you so much.
Did you manage to fix it @JensE46
No not yet. I've been reading the Russian link, bit it's still a little hard to understand. The pictures I think I need are in black and white. Right now I'm looking for the connector that connects to the "Power Folding Control Unit" then I will run all the wires. I'm also going to look where a connector from my door goes as my car had the second connector for the switch folded as BMWs tend to have when our cars are "Pre-Wired" for certain features that our cars didn't come with from the factory.
Thats quite funny because I have the same connectors in the door. I was watching M539 youtube legend Streten the other day and saw that he was retrofitting powerfolding mirrors too to his manual seat facelift touring, the same as I was doing. The weird part is, he has two seperate door modules for the mirrors and a cable from the fuse box to the gm5 module/canbus) in stead of the central white module.
CANBUS is not used by the mirrors, they used KBUS and switched to LIN on facelifts I believe. WDS is your friend here
Sorry, KBUS is correct yeah. For what I have found till the date of today, there is a big difference in how the mirrors are controlled. When you have non electrical seats, you have the 'old' way with the door modules and it completely changes when you have electric seats/memory.

Also differs between sedan/touring and coupe/convert.... With the ribbons and normal.
And @4004 thanks for the awesome tip. Dived into it and right now found this:

My Russian is not the best and need to polish it ;) But I do not know what the two bottom squares are. Are those the modules or the mirrors?
See less See more
There is an English version of WDS available as well.
I01049/50 is the folding motor, for the driver and passenger respectively
Reactions: 1
Cheers mate. Found out that I need the white central mirror module indeed. Will grab one today and then need to find out which cables I need. I know there is a bunch of 'dead end' wiring above the fuse box but really don't know where they come from. So if I am correct, I need the following:
  • 2 wires from the drivers door (red/white and red/blue cables)
  • 2 wires from the passengers door (red/blue and red/green cables)
  • 1 wire from mirror control unit to fuse 57 including 5A fuse
  • 1 wire from mirror switch (blue/purple cable)
  • 1 wire to ground (brown cable)
and there goes one wire to the speedsensor from the dsc module (to prevent folding in the mirrors above 20MPHP) but I do not know if this one is necessary to get it working

Let me check this week if I can get it properly working :)
Cheers mate. Found out that I need the white central mirror module indeed. Will grab one today and then need to find out which cables I need. I know there is a bunch of 'dead end' wiring above the fuse box but really don't know where they come from. So if I am correct, I need the following:
  • 2 wires from the drivers door (red/white and red/blue cables)
  • 2 wires from the passengers door (red/blue and red/green cables)
  • 1 wire from mirror control unit to fuse 57 including 5A fuse
  • 1 wire from mirror switch (blue/purple cable)
  • 1 wire to ground (brown cable)
and there goes one wire to the speedsensor from the dsc module (to prevent folding in the mirrors above 20MPHP) but I do not know if this one is necessary to get it working

Let me check this week if I can get it properly working :)
Take a lot of pictures please. Lol I've been busy at work and haven't had a lot of time to get started. I hate doing things in small sections. I just want to dedicate a whole day to this.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts