E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a pothole and blew out my two drivers side tires...made nice dents in the rims too :ben: :ben: :ben: I have the continental all season tires on my 01 330xi on standard 17" rims. I want to get new tires...cant afford new rims. I'm gonna look into getting the road commision or whatever to pay for the replacements etc, but right now i just need to find out what to buy. I had my car towed to tire discounters nearby, they said the cheapest tire they coudl get by tomorrow would probably be a toyo something for $200. BMW wanted $220 for each replacement conti all season. I wanted to see what i should get...any suggestions from tirerack.com? I could get them here by Monday and get them put on... i could probably make it thru the weekend without a 2nd car. So please let me know what you think i should get etc! I'm clueless when it comes to tires. Cinci doesnt get that much snow, but basically, i want something i can use all year round...can't afford winter and summer tires and have nowhere to store a 2nd set

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would go onto tireracks website I am pretty sure they can beat those prices....But I don't think it is a great idea to run different brands of tires on each side.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i dont plan on running 2 types of tires... gonna buy 4 new ones. just dont know what is good to buy

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i plan on getting 4 new tires...the ones i have on there are 1/2 worn according to the salesman...but then again who knows. def looking into 4 though. right now i'm considering the conti cv95s and the michelen pilot sport AS. the contis are 208 each and the pilot sports are 235 both locally. i know i can get a better deal on tirerack, but then i am carless for another 4 days cuz of the weekend....plus i gotta have the car towed to an install place cuz the place its sitting at wont install unless u buy from them.!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, i ended up getting 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 205/50-17 from a local dealer...they were more expensive than tirerack by about $20/tire, but i needed some tires ASAP. Now i just have to see about filing a claim with the City of Cincinnati about the damage from the pothole. I doubt they will cover the rims, but hopefully at least the tires!

·
Registered
281 Posts
AHHH man that sux! Sorry to hear! Good old SW ohio and northern Kentucky pot hole legends bite another one. Well I have the same tires you have except I have 225/50/16's and they are good tires. I would have suggested the Pirelli P Zero Nero A/S though, but eitherway. I sent you a PM.

DJ

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well..to keep this story going. Today when i go out to the parking lot to leave work, i notice that the Drivers Front tire is FLAT!!!!!! It still had some air in it so i drove it 1 block and put some air in it. It seemed to hold so i proceeded directly to Tire Discounters to see what was up. The guy said he'd take a look at it and then put me in line with all the other people.. he said it would be over an HOUR!!! WTF i just got these tires Monday and spent close to $1000 for four brand new ones and he's gonna put me on the waiting list! I sat there for about 25 minutes and then checked on my car....tire still holding air. so i said i would come back in the AM since he said it would still be over an hour. I went next door, bought some fix-a-flat, then drove home. Tire is still holding air... i guess i'll see what happens in the morning. I didnt notice any funny pulling or anything when i drove to work today though... jeez.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You did say that you could see a bend in your rims right? So the bend may be causing a slow leak, plus it could have just been mounted incorrectly and did not have a great seal. Mostlikely if the tire holds air over night you will be fine, otherwise, Tire discounter is just going to check the tire for any punctures, and if there aren't any they will remount the tire. That will usually fix the problem. Did they put a new valve stem on the rim when they mounted the tire? Well Good luck. Which Tire Discounters did you go to? I will make sure to avoid that place at all costs.

DJ

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This rim wasn't damaged by the pothole so it should be fine. It seems to be holding air right now.. i guess i'll find out in the morning. They put all new valve stems on when they mounted it...It was the TD on Ridge Road. The guy there was very helpful though and gave me a discount on the tires since it took so long. Even though, i'm sure they still made a ton of $ on them. Anyways... guess i'll see whats up tomorrow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts