BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 325i has been developing a few issues as of late, one of them being some seriously bogged down driving performance in the low end.

The most serious symptom is that while in the very low end of the RPM range (<1000), if I were to suddenly gas it (not even floor it mind you), it will heavily bog down, and the car will kind of jump before picking up. Even when it does pick up, its very slow and boggy until about 3000rpms or so. This effect is felt most heavily in 1st gear, but noticeable in 2nd and 3rd as well.

I've been searching around for some various reasons as to why this could be happening, and I've come up with a few different options, one of which is to check all my vacuum hoses. The problem is that I don't have a ton of experience with cars, and I am not really sure which hoses to check... :confused: I do know to check all of the main parts of the intake system, from the air box back to the ICV, so I have that part covered.

I've tried searching around for solutions, but it seems like each thread ends up with the conclusion of "check your vacuum hoses". :)

Also as a side note; if this problem just jumps out at anyone as having a specific enough solution besides a vacuum leak, please feel free to let me know... :D

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
If not a vacuum leak:

-Cam Sensor

or

-Fuel Pump (or FPR)

or

MAF

Cam sensors are common, so that's a good bet. Go to AutoZone and have codes pulled.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a code thrown but it was for the thermostat only (p0128 i think). flushed it today to try and get rid of that.

i also cleaned the mas and still no help. unplugging it didnt help either.

im going to check into the cam sensor though next. thanks for the input! :D

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
It could also be the diaphragm/valve in the crank case ventilation unit. Mine went bad (and I mean REALLY bad) and the car wasn't even drivable. Before I toasted it all it had was a small leak, and I was having the same symptoms as you. It would also vibrate and run a little bit rough at idle.

I doubt it's a I/E cam sensor though, those usually throw a CEL with hella codes when they're bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts