E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you used the water hose method to clean your engine bay? or took your time detailing it?
The water drops were because I washed my car after and the water dripped off of the hood. I used a toothbrush and simple green for the engine bay.

·
Registered
443 Posts
whats the best method for really cleaning out the engine bay well? sorry for the thread jack :facepalm:, but didnt want to start one for this

·
Registered
513 Posts
so the water cant damage anything? i know its dumb, but i always like to be sure before i try something new
YES IT CAN. Don't blast your engine with a hose. Bad bad bad and even more bad idea. Use water precisely with the tooth brush or any similar brush and simple green. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
443 Posts
i think i will just play it safe and avoid the hose for now. i shall post some pics when i find time to really get it cleaned up

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've pressure-washed my past 6 BMW engine bays without any issues whatsoever, along with various other makes/models. You just have to be precise with the nozzle and avoid spraying critical areas directly. Even then, I doubt any damage would occur. Electronic components in engine bays are sealed a lot better than you'd think.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
i think i will just play it safe and avoid the hose for now. i shall post some pics when i find time to really get it cleaned up
Ive used the hose before and covered safe spots with tin foil, worked great, but i was still paranoid.

Next time in just gonna douse it with WD-40 and wipe with a cloth. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 130 Posts