E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my 2002 325i sedan up from the alignment place. On the way home, these two lights went on. I did have to remove both front wheel speed sensors when I replaced the control arms, sway bar links and tie rods. The came out fine and were a little tough to reinstall, but not terrible. I'm assuming they're the culprit? A scan with the Veepeak showed no codes, so not sure why it wouldn't be listed in OBDFusion.

I'm certain they're original to the car (167,000 miles). Maybe just time to replace them?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generic code readers aren't very good at reading DSC codes. Would be better if you ran it on INPA or BMW Scanner 1.4.
I just pulled the existing codes with INPA. They're, of course, auf Deutsch. Is there a toggle or setting for English? Pretty sure the first one is my P1620 persistent code. Thanks

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
872 Posts
They are engine trouble codes. You can run Google Translate over the screen on your smart phone to get the English translation. Look up the code numbers in this reference: BMW Complete Diagnostic Fault Code List [E36, E46, E90 and more] | REALITYPOD

The trouble code you are looking for are in the DSC/ABS module. The trouble codes will tell you what the problem is.

I'm picking that you have DSC on your car and that the steering angle sensor just needs a calibration after the wheel alignment.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,547 Posts
As a generality, 99% of wheel alignments do not need a steering angle "realignment".
However if it was very off before AND was re-calibrated, then after everything was set correctly during an alignment there's a good chance the angle sensor will need to be reset.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,542 Posts
As a generality, 99% of wheel alignments do not need a steering angle "realignment".
However if it was very off before AND was re-calibrated, then after everything was set correctly during an alignment there's a good chance the angle sensor will need to be reset.
I don’t think the steering angle was reset after OP did his front end work. Replacing tie rods, unless you are careful, nearly always requires it.

I will say I have seen terrible alignments done by shoddy shops that immediately tripped the need to reset steering angle.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I really struggle to understand this....
Car is delivered with the steering wheel placed onto the steering shaft at xx point. The sensor is aligned to zero.
Replace anything steering related except the shaft and/or the rack and then a wheel alignment commences.
Measure/adjust ride height, measure toe out on turns and then the next thing is perform a rear wheels alignment.
Then we move onto the front. The very next thing that happens is the steering wheel lock goes in after we perfectly center the steering wheel.
Then the front is aligned by first adjusting camber, then the front toe.
Steering wheel is locked into place and should be at/near zero because it didn't move.
So the tie rods are moved in or out to bring the toe to the desired place.

Why would the steering angle sensor be out of whack?

I'm not trying to argue with you, but if you follow the prompts on the screen it's really hard to F it up....

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
I really struggle to understand this....
Car is delivered with the steering wheel placed onto the steering shaft at xx point. The sensor is aligned to zero.
Replace anything steering related except the shaft and/or the rack and then a wheel alignment commences.
Measure/adjust ride height, measure toe out on turns and then the next thing is perform a rear wheels alignment.
Then we move onto the front. The very next thing that happens is the steering wheel lock goes in after we perfectly center the steering wheel.
Then the front is aligned by first adjusting camber, then the front toe.
Steering wheel is locked into place and should be at/near zero because it didn't move.
So the tie rods are moved in or out to bring the toe to the desired place.

Why would the steering angle sensor be out of whack?

I'm not trying to argue with you, but if you follow the prompts on the screen it's really hard to F it up....
Addendum to the above...
If someone takes off the steering wheel and moves into a different position?
Then my centering the wheel will produce a out of alignment steering angle sensor. Albeit it should come up on a post work test drive? Perhaps the shop re-positioned the steering wheel?

On just about every alignment machine I've seen as of late; There is a big pop up splash warning about having to check/readjust (electronically) the steering angle sensor.
Of which, because of the above we almost never have to do.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t think the steering angle was reset after OP did his front end work. Replacing tie rods, unless you are careful, nearly always requires it.

I will say I have seen terrible alignments done by shoddy shops that immediately tripped the need to reset steering angle.
I was very careful to follow the suggested procedure and lay the new tie rods next to the old and get them as close as possible with a steel rule. I believe I was careful enough to get them within a mm. But really close regardless. I never touched the steering wheel or rack other than to install the new tie-rods. The steering wheel was off a lot when I got everything put back together. That did surprise me but I didn't think too much about it as I was driving it in to get aligned. I should've thought more about it and why. But I just cannot see how I screwed this up. I'm assuming that the shop not only uses the alignment bolts but will also adjust the tie rods? Would they take off and reposition the steering wheel? I'm going to do BaliDawg's procedure after work today and see if that fixes it. The rear end is so bad on this car they couldn't even align it. So that's next. It was a Firestone shop I frequent. They're very nice and seem quite competent. Didn't even charge me for the front-end alignment.

·
Registered
5,547 Posts
Given what you state you did, I don't think you screwed it up.
Readjust it and all should be fine.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome. Thanks.
OK. I'm thinking I actually pulled this off. I'll attach the screen I got just to make sure. I'm hoping "JOB STATUS =OKAY" means success. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts