E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've never lurked through the F/I section, so if I'm asking noob questions i apoligize. I'm very deeply considering joining the world of forced induction with my 330ci ("buy an m instead" i know, but this is the route im planning so please help me rather than bashing me).

I've done some quick searching over the last few days and learned a little. I'm currently debating between the vf engineering kit, and the twin screw stage 2. What are your reccomendations? Is there something better I'm missing?

What things do I need to maintain differently if my car is supercharged? How reliable will the car stay if properly maintained? Is any regular drivability lost? Will my m54b30 stock internals handle the power of a ts2 alright? (60k miles)

Please inform me of things I'm missing, if this is truely a bad idea, any advice or anything you feel i should know.

Thanks for the help,
James

·
Registered
310 Posts
My car has had a VF kit for the past 30k miles and I'm quite happy with it. If you ever plan to upgrade I would go elsewhere as there are no additional stages through VF and you'd have to go custom to run more boost.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another thing to consider, I can get a brand new vf kit, 1 year warranty (no intercooler :thumbdown: ) for 3800, maybe 3700 :thumbup:. Ts2, with intercooler :thumbup:... sticker from ess says around 6500 :thumbdown: (forgot exact price).

Experienced people please guide me...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car has had a VF kit for the past 30k miles and I'm quite happy with it. If you ever plan to upgrade I would go elsewhere as there are no additional stages through VF and you'd have to go custom to run more boost.
What's your driving style? Any additional maintenance? What does maintenance on the SC itself entitle?

·
Registered
310 Posts
What's your driving style? Any additional maintenance? What does maintenance on the SC itself entitle?

It sees red occasionally and though it is mostly a weekend car, I have daily driven it sporadically.

Oil changes at 4k and I change the fluid in the SC every 7k miles which takes only a few minutes. I love it and feel I get the best of both worlds as it drives like stock in the lower RPM ranges. Some people don't like that it only hits full boost at around 6k but it doesn't bother me.

If you are going to track/race your car, you will get used to the power and want to upgrade. Hence my suggestion to look elsewhere. What are your intentions with your car?

·
58mm of Bliss
4,025 Posts
I've done some quick searching over the last few days and learned a little. I'm currently debating between the vf engineering kit, and the twin screw stage 2. What are your reccomendations? Is there something better I'm missing?
Technique Tuning turbo kit:

http://techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html

You will not find more power under the curve for less money.

The Stage 2 offers more power than any other kit out there without rebuilding the bottom end of the engine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Technique Tuning turbo kit:

http://techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html

You will not find more power under the curve for less money.

The Stage 2 offers more power than any other kit out there without rebuilding the bottom end of the engine.
30 HP more for an extra $500. And i'm willing to bet if I call I can get them to come down a little. http://www.esstuning.com/products/M54B30-Twin-Screw-Stage-2-(TS2).html

It also says it's at full boost by 2200 rpm, giving great low end response.

What do you think?

·
european auto source
12,248 Posts
Hi all, I've never lurked through the F/I section, so if I'm asking noob questions i apoligize. I'm very deeply considering joining the world of forced induction with my 330ci ("buy an m instead" i know, but this is the route im planning so please help me rather than bashing me).

What things do I need to maintain differently if my car is supercharged? How reliable will the car stay if properly maintained? Is any regular drivability lost? Will my m54b30 stock internals handle the power of a ts2 alright? (60k miles)

Please inform me of things I'm missing, if this is truely a bad idea, any advice or anything you feel i should know.

Thanks for the help,
James
At 60K miles, you should have no problems as long as regular maintenance intervals are followed.

Let me know when ready to make the jump on the VF kit, I'll make it happen. :thumbup:

·
Registered
120 Posts
30 HP more for an extra $500.
not sure where you're reading that from but if you compare dyno graphs, the twinscrew is actually making 10whp and 18rwtq less than the TT kit.

http://www.esstuning.com/product_images/i/573/ts2_af_2__57328_zoom.jpg

http://techniquetuning.com/images/dyno_e46330_dj.jpg

the turbo is barely behind the twinscrew in boost buildup. Nick G's kit hits full boost around 2700-2800rpm and i realize it's different for everyone but, in my opinion, the way the torque ramps from below 2500 to 3000rpm, is a damn nice kick in the pants and it rides a nearly flat curve through the whole band.

both the ESS and TT kit are nice products and are proven to work but if more power is in your potential future, the turbo route would be your better option. more power, more torque and you can save yourself $500.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have had the VF kit for about 80k milkes now and haven't had any problems with it. As mentioned the only drawback for me has been no additional stages released. Truth be told I would go with the Twin Screw if I could afford it but I got an insanely good deal on a low mileage used kit when I bought it so I couldn't pass it up. VF got a bad/albeit somewhat deserved rap over their M3 kits but I've never heard anything but good reviews about the non-M kits.

I've also heard that VF's customer service has been lacking in the past but I can't really speak to that because I haven't had any issues. I'd say if there is still an issue so far as that is concerned going through EAS might provide some relief. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go, you'll enjoy it.

·
ninja editor
2,087 Posts
30 HP more for an extra $500. And i'm willing to bet if I call I can get them to come down a little. http://www.esstuning.com/products/M54B30-Twin-Screw-Stage-2-(TS2).html

What do you think?

in first and second gear, the supercharger is better in every way from 2000-3000rpm. From 3000rpm on, the turbo is getting to power the same numbers a few hundred rpm earlier, hitting 300whp under 6krpm. If you're extremely concerned with performance under 3krpm, the supercharger is more responsive at those rpms, but as long as you're in higher gears, it may very well built a lot of boost very quickly, in 6th gear, it will hit full boost over 1000rpms from what's shown on the dyno sheet. 3rd gear usually spools faster than indicated on the dyno sheet.

Furthermore, this is stage 1, if you want to do the cheap upgrade to stage 2, which is literally a head gasket job, a wastegate adjustment and a tune, it yields at least 380whp.

·
european auto source
12,248 Posts
I have had the VF kit for about 80k milkes now and haven't had any problems with it. As mentioned the only drawback for me has been no additional stages released. Truth be told I would go with the Twin Screw if I could afford it but I got an insanely good deal on a low mileage used kit when I bought it so I couldn't pass it up. VF got a bad/albeit somewhat deserved rap over their M3 kits but I've never heard anything but good reviews about the non-M kits.

I've also heard that VF's customer service has been lacking in the past but I can't really speak to that because I haven't had any issues. I'd say if there is still an issue so far as that is concerned going through EAS might provide some relief. Good luck with whichever way you decide to go, you'll enjoy it.
:clap:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't consider anything other than the ESS TS or the TT turbo. Both are excellent kits. On a street driven car, the torque offered by either will make a significant difference in daily driving. A centri can work great in high rpm applications but it simply won't have the low and mid range grunt of the other options. I've got about 4 yrs and 70k miles on my TS2+ and still love it. If the turbo had been available way back when I ordered my TS, I would have seriously considered that route although I think ultimately the TS would have appealed to me more in spite of the parasitic losses - decision ultimately being based on somewhat irrational personal preference. While I'm biased toward the TS, I give Nick huge props on his turbo kit. If you want to go turbo, I would (prior to placing an order) consult with Nick at TT to see what the OBDII readiness monitors report and whether there might be any issue with passing your local emissions inspection (you'll want to educate yourself on your local regulations before getting in to FI). Regardless the answer, better to know what you're getting in to up front. With the TS, there are no emissions related issues (short of CARB cert for CA residents) unless you replace the stock exhaust manifolds with headers. Based on my experience, I would say headers become a real necessity with the TS2+ or TS3 so keep this in mind wrt future upgrades.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't consider anything other than the ESS TS or the TT turbo. Both are excellent kits. On a street driven car, the torque offered by either will make a significant difference in daily driving. A centri can work great in high rpm applications but it simply won't have the low and mid range grunt of the other options. I've got about 4 yrs and 70k miles on my TS2+ and still love it. If the turbo had been available way back when I ordered my TS, I would have seriously considered that route although I think ultimately the TS would have appealed to me more in spite of the parasitic losses - decision ultimately being based on somewhat irrational personal preference. While I'm biased toward the TS, I give Nick huge props on his turbo kit. If you want to go turbo, I would (prior to placing an order) consult with Nick at TT to see what the OBDII readiness monitors report and whether there might be any issue with passing your local emissions inspection (you'll want to educate yourself on your local regulations before getting in to FI). Regardless the answer, better to know what you're getting in to up front. With the TS, there are no emissions related issues (short of CARB cert for CA residents) unless you replace the stock exhaust manifolds with headers. Based on my experience, I would say headers become a real necessity with the TS2+ or TS3 so keep this in mind wrt future upgrades.
Agreed ESS has amazing product support before AND AFTER the sale. Local guy in Seattle received amazing support when he had a small issue. I received a call 2 months later after I bought their smg software to see how I liked it! Roman asked me at bimmerfest how I like the product!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
+50.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Before 3k rpm the TS is "better" but after 3k rpms, TT takes it for me. You have to figure out what driving style you have. I'm sure everyone here in the FI section usually "push" their cars on the highway vs local side streets, in which they downshift to 3k+ rpms anyway so in a sense I would just go with the TT kit for that reason alone. I may be biased though because Nick G lives 40 mins from me so tuning is always available. BOTH are excellent products but if it were ME, I would go with the TT only because with a few extra $$$ you can opt for Stage 2 as "bluejeansonfire" said and push ~380whp. Gl with your decision and fill us in with your choice.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.