E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a dumb question but are places other than dealerships allowed to do full warranty work on BMW's? I have always just brought my car to the dealership. Just curious if I had the option to bring it to someone else.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wake08 said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but are places other than dealerships allowed to do full warranty work on BMW's? I have always just brought my car to the dealership. Just curious if I had the option to bring it to someone else.
Not a stupid question at all...I was wondering that myself when I bought my first car :D

But yea, only authorized BMW dealers can do that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Actually...that didn't happen in my case...I let my friend drive my 328Ci...he promptly missed a shift (5th to 2nd going about 80) and blew the top end to hell...all of my exhaust valves and lifters had to be replaced. The dealer was like anywhere from 5000-7000 bucks...and they wouldnt tell me exactly until they tore it apart and saw what was wrong (understandable!).

I took the car to a local repair shop who works on German cars and they did the repair for 4200 dollars...and i've taken it back to the dealer for various problems..all taken car of under warranty. My entire Vanos system was replaced under warranty three weeks ago (the car would die when cold). The service manager asked me where I got the car repaired and I told him truthfully---he didn't care...

So..i've never had a problem! The top end work wasn't under warranty, but the dealer didn't void my existing warranty even though I had work done at a different shop!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts