E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've looked at the threads and i am a little confused. people say that when you remove the fill (not drain) plug, that like 3 quarts + of atf comes out? if this is the case, how do you fill it without it pouring back out? bottom line is i'm wondering if there is an easy way to remove, say, 2 quarts, and refill? i am getting near 175k with no fluid change, and am thinking i'll take a cautious approach and just change a little. thanks

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
When you remove the fill plug, it's possible that some fluid will come out. When you remove the drain plug, obviously a bunch more will come out. However, that's not a total drain, as there's still fluid in the torque converter as well as the lines to the heat exchanger on the radiator. If you only want to remove a little, remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug and let some into the same container. Measure what you've drained, then add that back in. Of course, doing that, you're not changing the transmission fluid filter, which would, to me at least, be kind of important. I guess if you're committed to just changing a little, you could drain it, replace the transmission filter, then take out, arbitrarily, 3 quarts, mix new oil with the remaining oil, then fill it up. Rubs me the wrong way to put dirty oil back in, though. If you're worried about the transmission at 175K, I'd be sure to use the same transmission oil that's in there today, as opposed to some other synthetic.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you remove the fill plug, it's possible that some fluid will come out. When you remove the drain plug, obviously a bunch more will come out. However, that's not a total drain, as there's still fluid in the torque converter as well as the lines to the heat exchanger on the radiator. If you only want to remove a little, remove the fill plug, then remove the drain plug and let some into the same container. Measure what you've drained, then add that back in. Of course, doing that, you're not changing the transmission fluid filter, which would, to me at least, be kind of important. I guess if you're committed to just changing a little, you could drain it, replace the transmission filter, then take out, arbitrarily, 3 quarts, mix new oil with the remaining oil, then fill it up. Rubs me the wrong way to put dirty oil back in, though. If you're worried about the transmission at 175K, I'd be sure to use the same transmission oil that's in there today, as opposed to some other synthetic.
thanks for the info. yeah, i'm not saying my way is the right way, but i see it as being a middle ground between a full service and doing nothing. at 175k with no service, who knows what the right thing to do is. and yes, i need to figure out what the stock fluid that is in there. this is for a 2000 328Ci step, if anyone knows

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
2000 328ci through 05/00 has a GM5 (A5S 360R) transmission which uses TEXACO ETL 7045E fluid. Of course you should confirm by the tag on the transmission which transmission you have.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2000 328ci through 05/00 has a GM5 (A5S 360R) transmission which uses TEXACO ETL 7045E fluid. Of course you should confirm by the tag on the transmission which transmission you have.
This link should be of assistance. It has a list of the transmissions and the fluids used. It also has the procedure for refilling the trans.

http://bimmerinfo.com/e46trans.htm
:thumbup: thanks a lot. that's what i needed. i'll report back with results if/when i go through with it

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,195 Posts
OP, to answer your original question -

What comes out of the fill plug when removed is what is normally in the transmission when running. When you shut if off, the fluid goes to the bottom, and that's the fluid you're talking about when removing the fill plug from a transmission that's not running.

Technically speaking, if you started the car, got the transmission to the recommended fill temperature, nothing would come out of the fill plug when removed. The bottom of that fill hole is the correct level.

Paolo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts