E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 04 M3 into the dealer to fit winter wheels (style 68 made especially for the e46 M3 with different offsets for front and rear) which I had bought from their Parts department. It's a half hour job but they tell me it's going to take the day so I complain and then they say they can do it in an hour or so.

I go and collect the car just over 2 hours later and I go to my car to drive off. What do I see? On one side the wheels are too far in and on the other, one wheel sticks out. Obviously the BMW guy didn’t bother about the different offsets and just put them on any old way. It looks like they fit the rear wheels on one side and the fronts on another. So I complain and they take it back. I asked that a technician takes a look at it and makes sure the brakes or wheels were not damaged with the previous incorrect installation.

It is now about 3 and half hours since I brought my car in and they say it is ready. They assure me that a technician has checked the brakes and wheels and there was no damage done. This time it looks much better but sitting a little low. I drive off and take it to the carpark and check the tire pressures. I find that I have 31.5 lbs on one rear and the others are 32.5 lbs and 34.5 lbs. The rear is supposed to be anything from 38 lbs I think! I take the car back in and request that the tires be inflated.

So after a 4+hour ordeal, I have some winter wheels!

Question - was my safety at risk if I didn’t notice them and just drove off?
Could there have been damage to my brakes or wheels with the incorrect fitment?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Brakes, NO the offset will only effect the fitment within the fenders
Under inflation, possibly, although they were not THAT underinflated.

But they obviously weren't very throurough in checking it.

I find that most tireshops are very imprecise with tire pressure and lug nut torque, the two things they should be most concerned with.

-jer

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had new tires put on a few months back and PARK AVE BMW neglected to tighten 3 lug bolts on one wheel. The remaining wheels were double the factory recomended torque. Crappy service, yea you better get used to it.

I get better service from any local mechanic. BMW service for me has been the absolute worst in the industry. I have found tools in my car, spare parts and had to pay out of pocket for things my dealer couldnt troubleshoot. I love my BMW but I cant stand the service, sadly this will be my last BMW. On every survey I give ones and ask that someone from BMW contact me and im assured they will, never happens. Do they ever call anyone back?

·
Registered
184 Posts
wow... i didnt know you were a member of this forum....lololol
04 silver m3 coupe correct
anothertoy

i was the spanish guy with the 04 carbon black m3 vert ........ we talk for a while .

i brought my car in for service also and they returned the car all mess up..

the whole trunk was out of wack, the battery cover was removed, the foam pieces taken out... just **** up........

man if it wasnt for the loaners i get , i would of gone someplace else...

the dealer is whiteplains bmw ( sister store to manhatten bmw ) and both own by bmwna

·
Registered
306 Posts
i am all for complaining to the dealers, when they dont treat you right they should hear from you. BMWNA has developed a nasty habit of ignoring customers since many are old and dont really complain although they are irritated. I would be mad if they put the rims on wrong and having to wait that many hours. My dealer treats me right cause I let them know when they screw up, but they still screw it up. Dealers are dishonest most of the time; they like to blame you first at least in my experience with local dealers (bmw, merc, audi)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts