BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
so does anyone know how many miles it takes to determine whether or not your engine is deemed "OK"... in example...say around 10,000 miles:dunno: At what mileage are the "bad" engines blowing up? on average?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Ive heard one blow at 20K miles. My friend has anengine that is within the "death dates" I believe he is at 13K and is OK...He changes his oil every 3K miles.....I dont know if that had anything to do w/ it!?!

·
Law Enforcer
2,502 Posts
I doubt there will be a recall. BMW just gave us all 6year/100,000 mile warranties on the M3's so why would they recall it if it ain't broke? When I picked up my M3, I got my new warranty paperwork, so if it blows, I'm not worried. Though I doubt it will!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
///M3Matt said:
Ive heard one blow at 20K miles. My friend has anengine that is within the "death dates" I believe he is at 13K and is OK...He changes his oil every 3K miles.....I dont know if that had anything to do w/ it!?!
Ive heard that changing the oil...or simply adding oil...frequently enough helps out a lot. I plan on changing my oil every 4-5K miles or so, but Im going to check the oil level periodically. My service rep says that by the time the sensors detect the oil level to to be low, that its too late and is probably more than a quart low and that can cause a shortage of lubrication in the bottom end causing the bearings to lock up...which is bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
M3Inline6 said:
I doubt there will be a recall. BMW just gave us all 6year/100,000 mile warranties on the M3's so why would they recall it if it ain't broke? When I picked up my M3, I got my new warranty paperwork, so if it blows, I'm not worried. Though I doubt it will!
...hey, where did you buy your car??? I used to live in Upland. I have some buddies at Savage off the 15. What paperwork did you get??? I never got that, what paperwork should i ask my sales rep. for?

·
Law Enforcer
2,502 Posts
Crummie: First and foremost, nice M3. Sick **** bro! Do you think you could do that color enhancing thing you did w/ your pics to some of my M3 pics?

As far as the dealer I got my car from, it was Shelly BMW. This is the 2nd car I've bought from them. I gave Savage a chance when I got my 330ci last year in december, but they ****ed up. "Claimed" my cars engine harness burned up at the port. I personally think that they didn't take me seriously. So I went to Shelly, and bought my 330ci. Then this year, I wanted an M3...so I went back to Shelly to order it. But just to see if Savages customer service changed, I called one of the salesman, and tried again. They never got back to me, so I bought my M3 through Shelly. Seems that Savage doesn't take younger guys very seriously. Ah well, sucks for them! :D Shelly still has #1 customer service for California BMW dealers. If you have friends at Savage, then maybe you'll have better luck.

I got my paperwork the same day I picked up the car. Basically it's a letter/statement from BMWNA stating the new warranty. It's from the dealer bulletin, so it's legit. For those of you that already had your M3's prior to this bulletin, you should receive it in the mail, however Crummie, check w/ your friends at Savage. Maybe they can help. If push comes to shove, hit me up offline, and I'll get you copies of my paperwork. Let me know if you need it. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
M3Inline6 said:
I agree, they just issued an extended warranty. It doesn't make sense to do that if they were going to just issue a recall. :dunno:

·
Registered
321 Posts
May be a manditory recal imposed by the NHTSA. For safety reasons, they probably would not want cars driving at highway speed encounter total catastrophic engine failure.:dunno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts