BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
1st off, thank you for all your input and help. I pulled the coils and found this on cylinder 6. Yikes. Looks like coolant?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is under thr head on the intake side near cylinder 6 :

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I can't explain the last picture, or even tell if you you have a head gasket pblm.

But coolant in spark plug holes is kind of rare. What is not rare is someone leaving the car outside with top op and engine covers off and having rain water enter spark plug #6.

I really don't see anything that tells me your engine is so bad that you shouldn't install it. I think it is probably okay based on what we are seeing here, although a little crusty in some places and not particularly well maintained.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Is the B25 and B30 Vanos the same? I'm thinking about using my B25 Vanos as it has 40K less miles and probably a lot less carbon build up. I'm pretty sure they are the same, just want to confirm.
Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So, I'm absolutely showing how much of a novice I am. I recently used a impact wrench to remove my harmonic balancer. I did this with the head on. When I did it, I didn't see any real movement of the bolt until it actually broke free. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Now that I've had some time to think about what I did, I'm a little concerned that I may have turned the engine the wrong way on accident. Do I have a valid concern? Also, How am I going to get that bolt back in without my transmission installed? Will I have to wait until everything is buttoned up so I can secure it ?

Edit : I watched a video where someone said to put the engine at TDC. I did NOT do that.. Am I totally screwed?
Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Probably not. You say the head was still on...Were cams still installed and was the engine in time? Had you removed timing sprockets?

If everything was still installed, connected, in time, you should be fine
If you had removed cams, you should also be fine as all valves would be closed
I might be a little concerned if you have removed timing sprockets but hadn't removed cams yet.

usually when you remove the balancer bolt with an impact, the crank does not move much...Its the hammer action / shock of the impact gun that loosens it, and then it will spin without turning the crank.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Any advice on cleaning the intake and exhaust ports while the motor is on the stand? Carb cleaner on a rag?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts