BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at possible HG failure. With the prices of B30's about the same as the b25 on ebay, I want to get the b30. I know that Coils are different after 02. What all do I need to consider when putting in a later m54b30?

Any advice on engine sellers?
Where is a good place to buy a reliable engine?
Thanks for any help guys!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
LKQ is a reputable seller of an engine...you might also call some of the independent BMW techs in your area.
One of the best, cheapest ways is to buy a running parts car with a B30 (e46, E39, X5, X3, etc) , compression test the engine, pull engine and part the rest..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'd rather go to a local junkyard which will provide a warranty. Shipping and engine can expensive, especially considering how cheap B30s are.
Intake manifold, throttle body, disa, injectors, maf, upper and lower intake boots are all B30 specific. You can swap over your existing valve cover if you can't find one with the same coil style.
Flashing a MS43 to B30 spec is easy enough.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found one at a junkyard that is a couple hours away that has 152k , he says he'll give me a 60 day warranty. $825 after taxes and core charge. I'm considering it..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 01 325ci that I swapped with a b30. Best decision I made. The b30 has so much more grunt and just moves the car so much better. I bought an entire e39 530i for super cheap that I just took everything off of to swap over, was quite easy. If you can find a b30 from an e46, even better. I'm not sure what parts you'd need and which are different cause I just swapped everything in between engines when I was doing it. Also depends on if your ms43 or not, if you are then its super easy to flash. Also if you have a manual and the donor is from an auto, don't forget the pilot bearing, I learned that the hard way! :lmao: If you have anymore questions I would be happy to try and help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to get a later motor, I could just use my IAT with the 3L intake manifold? My valve cover (and harness) and exhaust manifolds and 02 sensors? I would need to source an early Air intake and MAF? Also pulley ribs are different? Is that all? Then just flash as a 3.0L ms43 ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just pulled the trigger on a 2001 530I motor with 130K. I'll hopefully be picking up it up sometime this week and spending the next few weeks gathering parts for the swap. This will be my first Engine swap. I try to DIY everything, so I'm excited for the experience. The closest thing I've done to this is converting my SMG to a Manual last March. I feel like this might be about the same level or even easier than the SMG. I'll be putting together a build journal for this wagon so I can document the fun! Wish me luck!

This is going into a 89K mile 2001 325xi Wagon -Stahl Grau on tannin red :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
not 100% sure on this, but if you get one from an X3 or E39, the wiring harness might be different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
not 100% sure on this, but if you get one from an X3 or E39, the wiring harness might be different.
As far as I remember, the e39 is the same. If I recall correctly the only thing I had to switch over from an e46 was the old coolant temp sensor that goes into the head, the one from an e39 had a different style plug for the harness to go into so I had to use the old one. Other than that everything should plug right up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I remember, the e39 is the same. If I recall correctly the only thing I had to switch over from an e46 was the old coolant temp sensor that goes into the head, the one from an e39 had a different style plug for the harness to go into so I had to use the old one. Other than that everything should plug right up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
wew, well that's good news! Thanks for the insight, that would have been a nightmare!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Interesting finding as I'm gathering parts. The Hard cooling lines have a different part number for the XI vs non XI. The motor I bought is from a e39 530i. I may just have to wait until I pull the intake manifold off to see which lines I should buy to replace. You can see the difference below. the XI is the top one, and the Non XI is below. The mounting points seem to differ.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got the b30 in the garage for disassembly and resealing. The wreckers dropped the engine while getting it ready and i have some broken pieces, im optimistic that i can just replace my 325 parts with the broken.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you guys see a problem with taking the sensor/solenoid from the vanos on my 325 and replacing them with the broken parts on this b30 motor?Looks like the vanos needs to be resealed too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Swapping vanos solenoids should be fine. Yes, I would suggest you do the Vanos seals while you have valve cover off. Too bad seller broke so much of it...Hope you got some cash off.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swapping vanos solenoids should be fine. Yes, I would suggest you do the Vanos seals while you have valve cover off. Too bad seller broke so much of it...Hope you got some cash off.
How about that other connector to the 10 o'clock from the Solenoid? I'm hoping that will just be replaceable with the other one?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im a little concerned after pulling the intake manifold. There is a lot of crud above the intale valves and cyl 2 is slightly open. Should they all be closed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just blew some air into the cylinder and a bunch of black flakes came billowing out. That cant be good

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Cylinder 2 Could be open depending on where the cams/piston are. Pull the spark plugs, and put a socket on the crank bolt, rotate the engine clockwise and see how valves open and close.

That is more carbon than I usually see when pulling an intake. That can happen if the prev owner did not replace the CCV valve. it essentially sucks oil vapor into the intake valves creating excessive carbon.

This is not great, but probably not a reason to return the engine unless valves don't close.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts