BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering in investing in a Porter Cable to detail my car but there are just so many pads. If im going to be using the Menzerna Intensive Polish and Menzerna Final Polish II which pads do u guys recommend to accompany these polishes?

Also, I never used a buffer or detailed a car before. So if i use the Porter Cable incorrectly like apply too much pressure, is it possible that i can mess up my paint?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
You asked some good questions. There are no set "right" pads but I'll list what we most commonly recommend. Typically with the Menzerna Intensive Polish people use the Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad and with the Menzerna Final Polish II I like the Lake Country White Polishing Pad. The Orange pad will help give you good cutting power but leave minimal haze. The White pad will remove anything left behind and leave the paint very smooth and glossy. In my opinion this combination of pads and polishes gives you good cutting power without risking any serious haze or holograms. We have all the Lake Country pads on sale this month for only $7.99 (regularly $9.99).

I can certainly understand a buffer may seem a little intimidating at first, but really it's quite easy. We kiddingly tell people that the only way you can harm the paint is if you throw the buffer at the vehicle. You can lightly harm the paint with normal usage but this is pretty rare. Also just about any damage you could do you can polish out. The only mistake I've seen people make with the Porter Cable 7424 is if you run the pads dry. When a pad is brand new you may want to apply a little extra polish for the first 1 - 2 passes. After that its relatively fool proof. Apply light to medium pressure and you'll be fine. If you didn't already I highly recommend you read our Detailing Guide which has step by step instructions for each step in the process with the Porter Cable 7424. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Greg @ Detailed Image

1 - 4 of 4 Posts