BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Can someone tell me which I should get with two 10s? I'm not really sure which would sound better in my car (02 330ci). Thanks,

·
hammer talks like this
4,220 Posts
what kinda of subs? id say it depends on the installer too.... dont get a sh it installer who cant build crap!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The subs are Alpine type-R. I was thinking of actually letting circuit city do it. The seem to really know their stuff and had a bimmer being worked on at the time. I figure its not a custom box or anything so how hard can it be right?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
everything being equal a ported box will yield a 3dB increase in sound over a sealed box. A ported box is generally (not always) roughly twice the size of a sealed box. Ported boxes have a narrower roll off the a sealed box, not nearly as smooth, but will provide more (boom) in a specific range (say 45-60Hz) sealed boxes generally need more power than a ported box as well, but the subs will generally last longer. If the port isn't sized correcly you run the risk of hearing port noise as well. from my experience w/ Alpine (I sell it) I would recommend sealed. good sound, longer life, more trunk space for you, and, well, it's pretty damn hard to screw up a small sealed box. a prefab is fine, just make sure you stay within the volume stated in the Alpine lit for your speaker & you'll be set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts