E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325xi
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to try again to see if anyone has some answers to this mysterious noise I've been having on my 325xi. It sounds like a low pitched creaking coming from my front right side while turning right at low/medium speeds and when settling back to straight after turning. Since the noise started (it has gotten worse), I have replaced the following, which I understand are usual suspects:

• Sway bar endlinks
  • LCABs
  • Tie Rods
  • Axle
  • Struts/Springs
  • Strut mounts (bearings)
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Control arms (outer ball joint)
  • Inner ball joint
I've also checked the front subframe bolts, seem to be ok. Would motor mounts have anything to do with this? Wheel bearing? Doesn't seem to be steering rack related but I can't know for sure. Completely stumped.

Heres a video demonstrating the sound:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,548 Posts
The only suspect I have is the inner (trunion) joint of the right front axle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That must be so irritating!
I suggest you search for "e46 pirate ship creak". It has been discussed before.

(y)

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
...also, just because you've tried just about everything else, the front wheel bearings.

I've had odd noises from them that didn't make sense- until I remembered that they're ball
bearings, not the standard tapered rollers I grew up with.

all I got,

t

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325xi
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...also, just because you've tried just about everything else, the front wheel bearings.

I've had odd noises from them that didn't make sense- until I remembered that they're ball
bearings, not the standard tapered rollers I grew up with.

all I got,

t
Would the fact that the noise appears as the car warms up point to that? Definitely could be it, but I haven't heard the classic "wheel bearing noise" yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts