BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed oil and filter on 02 325i, I spilled oil on the engine while doing it, now it's not idling well, it's shaky. It runs fine when I put gas to it. I cleaned the MAFS in case oil got on it, the oil level is good also. Could something have gotten oil on it that would have caused this?

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
Just changed oil and filter on 02 325i, I spilled oil on the engine while doing it, now it's not idling well, it's shaky. It runs fine when I put gas to it. I cleaned the MAFS in case oil got on it, the oil level is good also. Could something have gotten oil on it that would have caused this?
More likely that you put the o-ring on the oil filter cap in the wrong place. It belongs about 1/2" down from the bottom flange of cap...not against the flange. You'll see a groove there. And make sure you only have one o-ring on too.

Also, make sure your dipstick is all the way in.

Did you happen to change oils this change...as in to something you weren't using before.

Make sure oil cap is on securely also...inspect it for damage. It sounds like you have a leak. Only other guess would be oil getting on a connector, like one of the OE connectors under exhaust mani...but those should be waterproof connections, so probably not.

You did add the right amount of oil and checked the level after running it to op temp and letting it cool down. You may have overfilled too...another reason for poor running.

Or, something totally unrelated to oil!

Oh, sorry, you cleaned the MAF. How did you clean it? Did you make sure you've got a good seal before and after it?

Try disconnecting it and seeing if the car runs better. If so, check for air leaks, maybe clean again.

I'm out of random guesses...I like the maf issue best for you...I think it might just be loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, the o ring is in the groove, oil level is good, halfway between notches. I used MAFS cleaner, it doesn't change when I disconnect it. Checked dip stick and oil cap, all good. I'm baffled, thanks for the brain storm.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
sounds like a vacuum leak. whenever i take off the oil cap when the cars running, it has very poor idle

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
Check your belts for oil...that would cause some odd idle fluctuation I'd think.

Clean connectors that might have been in the flow of oil. We've had a few guys who fixed problems just by cleaning connections with electric cleaner. Sometimes connections have lost their waterproof gasket...oil gets on plug, connector, poor signal...voila...car issue!

Those are my next two random guesses for you...all within my favorite 'proximate cause' rubric.

Sometimes cars have other ideas about their issues though! :lmao:

·
Registered
242 Posts
ditto to everything dmax stated.....remember MAF's are VERY sensitive.......how did you "clean" it?,,,,,you MUST be very careful with the MAF's

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think your right about the electric connections. I will get cleaner tomorrow and try it, thanks guys.

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
The belts DO have oil on them,,,,how would I clean those?
I'd probably try mixing some liquid soap and water and spraying them first...then rinsing them off with just plain water in a spritz bottle.

If that doesn't work, take them off and wash them...soap and water. Any liquid dishwashing liquid should do fine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check your belts for oil...that would cause some odd idle fluctuation I'd think.

Clean connectors that might have been in the flow of oil. We've had a few guys who fixed problems just by cleaning connections with electric cleaner. Sometimes connections have lost their waterproof gasket...oil gets on plug, connector, poor signal...voila...car issue!

Those are my next two random guesses for you...all within my favorite 'proximate cause' rubric.

Sometimes cars have other ideas about their issues though! :lmao:
You mean like the car getting upset at you for looking at the neighbors e9x 335is? Then it begins to run all sorts of strange issues so you will spend all your time and attention attending to your car? And if you continue to admire the other car or even go as far as a "test drive" your car will leave you stranded on the highway because it feels neglected and unappreciated.

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
You mean like the car getting upset at you for looking at the neighbors e9x 335is? Then it begins to run all sorts of strange issues so you will spend all your time and attention attending to your car? And if you continue to admire the other car or even go as far as a "test drive" your car will leave you stranded on the highway because it feels neglected and unappreciated.
Exactly!

Ok, I'm getting a code.. P0011-- A Camshaft Position. Timing over-advanced.
Now what??
Use advanced/title search and plug in the code...see what you get. Camshaft position sensors are easy to replace I think. I did the intake side and that was a breeze, but others have said that was tough...so the exhaust cam sensor must be really easy...if it is that?

I suspect it is, but confirm whether it's intake or exhaust. That said, had you taken care of the belt issue above and smoothed out your idle at all?

Before you go and buy this sensor, you might make sure it's plugged in securely and doesn't have oil/etc in the connector--follow the wire down...it's plugged in down there somewhere!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put in a new sensor, no change, still idles bad and still gives same P0011 code, check engine light back on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Did this happen right after the oil change?
What weight oil did you use?
Pull out the oil filter and check to make sure that the o-rings on the platic tip that the filter slides on to are there and not torn.
How much oil did you put in. Low oil can cause this code.
If all this checks out you can check for power to your phaser solenoids on the front of the head with key on engine off. If you ground the other wire the solenoid should click.

Not sure if the cam sensors are interchangable but if they are, swapping them left to right and seeing if code changes to p0015 could help you there too.
Good luck!
Oh and next time go to your local shop and pay them to do your LOF, it's just not worth saving $20.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yes, happened as soon as I started the car after change. Used mobil 1 0w-40'. Oil level good. Used OEM Mann filter. I DID put on a brand new oil filter housing cap on this change because the old one had the 36 mm bolt a bit stripped. Maybe I should check the housing cap a bit closer???

·
Registered
26,439 Posts
Dip stick o-rings?

Hmmm...the o2 sensor connections run below VC on pass side, don't they. Could oil have gotten on them?

Again, all connections are supposed to be 'waterproof' but after years of guys messing around with things, I know some have lost that gasket in the connection at times.

I asked, but if you got cam code, but don't know intake or exhaust, they are different sensors, so like I said, it could be the other one...could be.

I had to get involved in you tossing in parts you don't need, though, so keep thinking like whatever it was was proximate to the oil change.

Check the oil cap for a crack...if first oil change, maybe you cranked it too hard?

Maybe you added an o-ring to oil filler cap but didn't remove the old one. Maybe you really overfilled it...I'm sure I suggested this before, but I ain't reading my post again...they're always too damn long even for me!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts