BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any pics of installed polyurethane body kits? What companies offer them, and are they generally more expensive than fiberglass? What are the advantages / disadvantages of both?

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
most higher quality tuners will offer pu body kits instead of fiberglass. fiberglass is really hard and brittle and will break more easily than pu-- which can take more of a pounding. hoesntly, i'd never get a fiberglass front or rear spoiler. however, i do believe that hamann side skirts are fiberglass.. but that's ok since they're not really going to be scraped on or anything liek a front piece would.

·
Fanatics vs. E46 DTM 4evar
5,898 Posts
ACS and Hamann use Pu-rim a fancy name for polyurethane..except for Hamann sides. Racing Dynamics is also Poly.
Disadvantage of glass is the cracking and ease of chippage.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
well said! if you want to save money like if your just getting the side skirts you save a lot of money getting the replica because the real and fake are both fiberglass...

·
Registered
73 Posts
this is probably more info than anyone cares about, but the difference between PU rim and typical polyurethane parts is the way it is processed, PU RIM is polyurethane that is Reaction Injection Molded,(RIM) and regular polyurethane is injection molded from polyurethane pellets, typically the PU RIM is stronger because the regular method can crack in certain spots under stress. Sorry, just wanted to put my degree to some use. :D

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ooh, so hamann front spoilers are made from pu-rim? wow, i thought they were made from fiberglass!

·
call me kev :D
6,232 Posts
vehement said:
ooh, so hamann front spoilers are made from pu-rim? wow, i thought they were made from fiberglass!
the old one.. all the new one i believe are fiberglass... including the rear as well :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
11,182 Posts
e46boy said:

no.. the front and rear are starting to be made in fiberglass as well
:banghead: :banghead: I guess from now on, people who buy Hamann's most recent kits are paying all that money for the name, not the material quality.

·
call me kev :D
6,232 Posts
bimmerchop said:

:banghead: :banghead: I guess from now on, people who buy Hamann's most recent kits are paying all that money for the name, not the material quality.
well, at least the fitment of the fiberglass will be almost perfect from hamann, see hamann has been using fiberglass on their kit for a long time now..

the hamann gtr front is fiberglass(not 100% sure) the hamann rear diffuser for m3 is also fiberglass also the side skirts.

sam @ d2 technik has been saying all the new hamann kits they received are mostly in fiberglass :banghead: :banghead:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts