BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. i have a pair of polk momo 10's running of an mtx roadthunder 2 channel amp.. the amp is bridged and running a very nice amount of power.. the problem is that after about a week of use, the wires on sub that go from the cone to the speaker terminals, rip out of place.. i have soldered them twice (im not a bad job by any means.. have had some classes involving soldering strain gages) but for some reason the wires either a) rip near the solder or b) pull themselves from the solder (rare).. i have soldered them 3 times a piece and it seems that once one goes the other goes about a day later.. what is the problem? what is going wrong with the setup? is there any fix? i did extend the wires with some other wire and it still did the same thing.. is there too much current heating the wires up? please help.. im so tired of pulling them out.. all i want is good sound! anyways.. i hear you guys are the best with stereos so i came here.. thanks for your help guys.. :bow:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would hope they would do something.. lol.. i mean these weren't cheap by any means.. although i don't know if i have a reciept laying around.. i am trying the polk momo forums to see if its a common problem, but so far no responses.. it if comes down to it i will contact them for sure.. thx for the reply

·
Registered
209 Posts
what kind of AWG are you using ? is it wire or cable ?

the leads are breaking because of the cone movement, even though copper is a maleable metal it cannot resist the strain of being moved several thousand times up and down, and as you mentioned it breaks near the seam of the solder where the oscilations are abruptly stopped, that is the stress point all wires that are used for the cone-terminal area are of the hollow-braided kind, meaning they can flex and absorb some of the energy and not break under the stress,

this place sells braided wire and some other exotic types

http://www.alliedelec.com/Catalog/Indices/IndexHandler2.asp?ID=Braid, Copper&seq=170&IND=WP

or....
it's not what it's intended for, but it's braided copper wire.....

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage...erby=1&sm=1&so=1&search_type=6357510&desc=ASC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how would i go about fixing this problem.. it seems that polk didn't use the proper wire then... would i be able to cut the leads at a pt without weakening the connections? or should i send it back to them and have them fix it.. thanks for responding.. i never really thought about the type of wire.. makes perfect sense though.. which wire would be the precise size/type for my application?

·
Registered
209 Posts
the .06" wire from parts express would work, but it would be inherently weaker than the original, not because of the quality of wire, but because of where it is soldered, usually this wire is soldered on the inside of the cone right to the voice coil, and you would be soldering the wire on the outside of the cone, but you could give it a try, the wire is not very expensive

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess i have been trying everything else.. why not ya know.. i don't think polk momo put the right wire in.. something isn't rolling right with what they threw in there. cause things like this shouldnt happen

·
Registered
86 Posts
Things to check:
- enclosure size (too big?)
- if it's vented, is it tuned too high (above 45 hertz or so?)
- is it simply overpowered?

BEFORE you add/change/modify the tinsel leads, CALL POLK. If they say they'll fix it or exchange it, and you send them a modifed woofer, they may not warranty it. Call them first. If they say no, then try additional fixes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
listener said:
Things to check:
- enclosure size (too big?)
- if it's vented, is it tuned too high (above 45 hertz or so?)
- is it simply overpowered?

BEFORE you add/change/modify the tinsel leads, CALL POLK. If they say they'll fix it or exchange it, and you send them a modifed woofer, they may not warranty it. Call them first. If they say no, then try additional fixes.
the enclosure is exactly to the dimensions specified by polk (.66 cu ft), not vented, and the power says that it can handle 400rms.. im assuming that im not over powering it by running it in series... im on the polk forums to so we'll see if anyone else has had problems.. thx for he reply

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
randomtask976 said:
the .06" wire from parts express would work, but it would be inherently weaker than the original, not because of the quality of wire, but because of where it is soldered, usually this wire is soldered on the inside of the cone right to the voice coil, and you would be soldering the wire on the outside of the cone, but you could give it a try, the wire is not very expensive
am i able to buy this type of wire at a home depot or lowes.. or even radio shack, or am i basically left with online purchasing?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts