E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm really really hoping to come across someone with some time to kill. I'm going to be as descriptive as possible but Id like some pro answers. I do not have a bmw shop or dealership in my area. This will be my personal doings but I want to make sure that everything I do is on point I love my car and I'm trying to keep it that way. So I've already dropped 400 dollars on end links the heater fan resistor and front struts. Id like to know the best way to put the resistor in. So here we go
My biggest concern is the engine seems to be getting louder without and scary sounds it jus seems to be getting louder. I change oil and filters and top off coolant and atf regularly although my atf hasn't been flushed in awhile idk how big of an issue that is. It also sounds like most of the loudness is coming from the belt moving in front of the engine behind the grill.
My next concern is this whole idling funny situation wasn't happening much more of an irritation now its hapenning a bit more frequently. The car idles fine at 700rpms but will fluctuate when in park or stopping from 700rpms down to 400rpms almost as if it were to stall but it never does it will putter until I get up to 15mph and it'll run fine again. I've been doing some research and it seems common most people will clean their ICV instead of replacing it. Is this really effective?? Cuz I will happily clean it.
Also when I accelerate it randomly happens more so if I accelerate faster it sounds like something is rubbing something else its like a clicking sound but it doesn't effect the way my car drives accelerates or shifts its just a random sound. Should I be checking belts and pulleys for this? Noting that my car has damage to front passenger side and the fender got crunched but has returned to its original form with plastic being broke away from the back corner of the fender and the fog light on the drivers side is wedged into place because you guessed it the clips are broke. So maybe the sound is from my fender not being in prime condition.
The car itself runs solid everything accelerates great (minus the random idle issue) it shifts perfectly runs smoother than any car I've owned before. Were at 157500k I bought it at 146k and replace the piston cylinder 2 because it read misfire hoping that would be why it idled funny. My brake censor light is on but they've been fixed the sensor is broke. My coolant light comes off and on as it pleases even though coolant is full. Drivers seat belt light and passenger airbag light are on as well have no idea why. And of course my ses is on and probably will stay on until I figure out what's going on. I have codes for engine but some of them I don't understand this is my first bmw but if someone could help id be so greatful.
Let me put it to you like this. I woke up w bills to pay kids to tend to and papers to fax and all I can think about is fixing my poor baby this car means so much to me. I worked hard to buy it and Ill do what needs to be done to keep it. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok
Car idles funny normally runs 700rpms will fluctuate back and forth between 700rpms and 400rpms randomly...but it has been getting more frequent. Will cleaning the ICV resolve the issue
Uneccissary dash lights are popping on and off coolant/oil/driver seat belt/passenger air bag
The engine is getting louder with no performance issue its just getting louder I think it has something to do w the belt located in front of engine behind the grill.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ok
Car idles funny normally runs 700rpms will fluctuate back and forth between 700rpms and 400rpms randomly...but it has been getting more frequent. Will cleaning the ICV resolve the issue
Uneccissary dash lights are popping on and off coolant/oil/driver seat belt/passenger air bag
The engine is getting louder with no performance issue its just getting louder I think it has something to do w the belt located in front of engine behind the grill.
Have you replaced the CCV? That could be the cause of your idling problems, or 100 other reasons.

Do you have a clutch fan or electric radiator fan?

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Ok
The fluctuating idle is due to a vacuum leak. The weird flashlights are probably due to voltage issues. How old is the battery? How old is the battery?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts