BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

This isn't my pic but I have the same question! I replaced my timing chain tensioner today, and i broke off the hose in the pic. When i say broke off, it's actually the connector that has snapped. Can someone please tell me what that hose is what you call the connector piece? It's an N42 engine.

I'm at a loose end... Literally!!

Thanks

In case the pic doesn't work here is the link http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2002-e46-318ci-n42-%96cooling-system-problem-t132459/#/forumsite/21085/topics/132459

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Can't see anything. Link doesn't work either. Use Photobucket. It's not particle physics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bugger. Sorry mate it's working at my end so I figured it would be fine. It's the hose directly above the timing chain tensioner if that helps.

I've never used pb but I'll give it a go

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If it's in that location and it broke, I'll guess it's the N42 version of the crankcase vent valve upper hose that you broke. With our M54s, that hose connects to the valve cover and is commonly broken off when handled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's in that location and it broke, I'll guess it's the N42 version of the crankcase vent valve upper hose that you broke. With our M54s, that hose connects to the valve cover and is commonly broken off when handled.
Hmm I can't find any similar looking hoses online but thanks for your suggestion mate

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If this is on the exhaust side of the engine it likely isn't the crankcase vent system. The N42 engine was never used on any models in the United States but I do have access to information pertaining to all BMW models. If this hose is near the timing chain tensioner it would be on the exhaust side of the engine.

I think it's p/n 1 in the diagram below (BMW OE# 11537572158)
Click Here

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hi,
I did the same thing but green fluid came out. Is this coolant ?
In my rad it is supposed to be blue.
Thus the confusion.
Yes, the coolant should be a blue color. But it's possible the wrong coolant was added to your BMW in the past for a universal coolant. It happens more often than you would think. If the coolant in the system is green no better time than the present to flush out all the old coolant and replace it with the proper coolant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the coolant should be a blue color. But it's possible the wrong coolant was added to your BMW in the past for a universal coolant. It happens more often than you would think. If the coolant in the system is green no better time than the present to flush out all the old coolant and replace it with the proper coolant.

Hi Thanks for the reply.
But i did radiator change before and put blue coolant in.
But yesterday broke this hose and green fluid came out from engine block. That got me confused.
So if i replace this hose, where should i refill this fluid.
I have opened a thread with my issue :
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1099837

Thanks a lot for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts