E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a real quick question...
I need something portable like the
Sony T-30 or Panasonic lumix - or Casio exlim or Canon sd560
anyways...is there anyone that can suggest which or any other camera that has good shutter speed and take nice clear sharp excellent photos?

Thanks in advance!

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,472 Posts
all those cams are capable of taking clear sharp pix.

just make sure you are shooting in bright sunlight and shoot in ISO50-100 and use fast shutter speeds. But i suspect with those cameras, you wont have control over shutter speeds, so just make sure its in bright sun and ISO50-100, let the camera do the rest.

Sharp is open to interpretation however. If you're used to looking at SLR pix, then the pix from P&S won't be "sharp". Thats not to say the P&S pic isn't sharp by P&S standards.

I have 2 dSLRs put I still have a Casio Exlim as well. As long as you know how to use it, you can get good sharp pix with the Casio. But you can not compare the casio with the dSLRs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lilherc79 said:

just make sure you are shooting in bright sunlight and shoot in ISO50-100 and use fast shutter speeds. But i suspect with those cameras, you wont have control over shutter speeds, so just make sure its in bright sun and ISO50-100, let the camera do the rest.

Sharp is open to interpretation however. If you're used to looking at SLR pix, then the pix from P&S won't be "sharp". Thats not to say the P&S pic isn't sharp by P&S standards.

I have 2 dSLRs put I still have a Casio Exlim as well. As long as you know how to use it, you can get good sharp pix with the Casio. But you can not compare the casio with the dSLRs.

Thanks... i was really just comparing the portability and which would be the best way to go. i dont really know how to change shutter speeds or know what the specs are....i guess more so hoping a plug n play. Just reading some of the threads here...understand that you have to mess with speeds etc for certains pics.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
lilherc79 said:

i think p&s pictures come out sharper from the camera than a dslr.

anyways, out of the choices i would go with the canon. doesn't matter what the model number is. i'm a canon fanboy (with a secret desire to switch to nikon d200).

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,472 Posts
technically, yes to the eyes can see, but once you blow up that pic, difference in night and day.

Its pixel density vs sensor area.

todays P&S packs 6MP+ into an area about 1/4 the size of a typical dSLR sensor. So in leighman's terms, the dSLR sensors pixel density is only a 1/4 that of the P&Ss. when comparing the same picture, of course the P&S will appear to be more clear and sharp.

But the dSLR sensor captures more information (density) than the P&S sensor. Therefore, once you make a big print, and i mean big, beyond 8x10, or even 20x30. the pictures will still be sharp. Try printing a 20x30 pic shot with P&S. Difference is clear. Not to even get started on noise levels.

Of course with the release of Sony's R1, there may be lesser difference between that prosumer level ev SLR than dSLR since the R1 actually uses a APS sized sensor. Tests have shown that it has the poential to capture a lot more than other P&S cams with smaller sensors.

Bottom line is. The sensors size limits the amount of information captured. You can only do so much with a small sensor.

Another diff can be seen beween even dSLRs.

20D and 5D.

If my memory serves me correct, 20D's sensor density is higher than 5Ds, therefore, based on the same image w/o the crop factor factored in, the 20D actually shows a slightly sharper pic than the 5D. However, when printing images, the higher pixel count of the 5D will show a better, cleaner, sharper picture when blown up.

Of course assuming you are using a lens that actually can provide the resolution for your shots. Even if you have a great camera, a bad lens will still yeild soso pictures. So everything has to fit in place here.

Probably too much information here. But bottom line is, go out and shoot shoot shoot. when the right technique and knowledge of PP, you will get great results even with a P&S.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7. 6MP/12X Leica Zoom/JPEG/TIFF...anyhow, I generally use the program mode which takes care of your shutter and aperture for you but it has a feature called program shift which allows you to use a little joystick to adjust the shutter speed/aperture balance. Might be a good choice for you if it's dimensions are not too big.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was told by the reps at compusa and circuit city that the canons take brighter and sharper pics? i mean generally taking pics in a club, or at night somewhere...

reason id like something with shutter speed is because recently i attended my niece's pageant and my panasonic lumix fx7 took a bit before i could snap the next shot. same with the sony tc-1

perhaps canon is the way to go? i imagine these cameras are very competitive and probably are pretty much the same

·
Registered
718 Posts
dyzfnctional said:
i was told by the reps at compusa and circuit city that the canons take brighter and sharper pics? i mean generally taking pics in a club, or at night somewhere...

reason id like something with shutter speed is because recently i attended my niece's pageant and my panasonic lumix fx7 took a bit before i could snap the next shot. same with the sony tc-1

perhaps canon is the way to go? i imagine these cameras are very competitive and probably are pretty much the same
I think the reps were making generalizations. We have a Canon SD550 that takes good 7MP shots but I don't find them any brighter or sharper than our Panasonic FZ-7. Everybody has an opinion I guess.

This is from Steve's DigiCams...maybe it will help you next time you need faster shot to shot response with your FZ-7.

In single frame mode, the shot to shot delay averaged only 1.2 seconds without use of the flash and between 1.6 and 2.5 seconds with the flash, depending on subject distance and battery life. This model also features a "High-speed" AF mode. Using it I saw shutter lag with autofocus drop to about 1/10 of a second and the shot to shot delay averaged only 1 second between frames, giving you the ability to capture shots at 1 frame per second.

BTW, I don't think the Canon optics are going to be any better than the Leica optics used in the Panasonic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts