BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 330i and my car seems to be pinging around 2000 rpm under load. I need to ge my car smogged and it has failed twice already due to high NOx. HC and Co are fine. I've checked for error codes and I have none. No O2 sensor codes, no catalytic converter codes. Spark plugs are new as well. Temperature gauge looks fine and thermostat and fluids were replaced less than two years ago, but I think I may have a leak. No mods, all stock. I've tried guaranteed to pass and 104 octane additive and it seemed to lessen the pinging, butI'd like to fix it. Seems like the engine is too hot, but not hot enough to make the temp needle go past the middle mark. My heat and A/C work fine as well. Car heats up quickly and all that good stuff. I've already done tons of searches, but the closest thing I can come up with is a wacked out thermostat, but I'm not sure. Any helps would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
I have a 2001 330i and my car seems to be pinging around 2000 rpm under load. I need to ge my car smogged and it has failed twice already due to high NOx. HC and Co are fine. I've checked for error codes and I have none. No O2 sensor codes, no catalytic converter codes. Spark plugs are new as well. Temperature gauge looks fine and thermostat and fluids were replaced less than two years ago, but I think I may have a leak. No mods, all stock. I've tried guaranteed to pass and 104 octane additive and it seemed to lessen the pinging, butI'd like to fix it. Seems like the engine is too hot, but not hot enough to make the temp needle go past the middle mark. My heat and A/C work fine as well. Car heats up quickly and all that good stuff. I've already done tons of searches, but the closest thing I can come up with is a wacked out thermostat, but I'm not sure. Any helps would be greatly appreciated. TIA
How were your "codes" checked?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to an Autozone and used a code reader. I've used it before and I know it works because I had camshaft sensor code before. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
Went to an Autozone and used a code reader. I've used it before and I know it works because I had camshaft sensor code before. Any ideas?
AutoZone code readers are o.k., but you might have an issue or code that an AutoZone code reader may not be able to read.

Other members will chime in and give their advice and/or experience(s).

I recommend (so as to avoid pulling your hair out and throwing parts at your E46),

1. Find a BMW indy repair shop that has either the GT1 or AutoLogic diag. computer. Have them run a full scan. A good shop will charge you no more than an 1hr labor for the scan.

2. You might have some sort of EVAP leak / issue, and if you do, would be best to get your EVAP system "smoked" to find the leak. Some leaks / rubber cracks are easily seen by the naked eye, some are not.

www.bimrs.org is a great source for BMW indy shops in your area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Would a evap leak make the engine ping at low rpm though? Seems strange to me. I'll check that site as well. Anyone else?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks for the info. Would a evap leak make the engine ping at low rpm though? Seems strange to me. I'll check that site as well. Anyone else?
You seem to know your stuff and done your due diligence to no avail. Its probably time to go to a BMW shop, its not worth the headache of tracking down some obscure problem if its something they could potentially diagnose and fix in a day.

I spent months trying to track down the cause of a heating/cooling system problem only to have it fixed with a simple DME re-flash.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sadly, I may have take your advice and take it to the shop here soon. I'm still givng it my best effor though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts