E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed recently, that when my car is cold (first 5-10 minutes of driving) in automatic mode, right before coming to a full stop I feel a little kick - -most certainly coming from transmission. It almost feels like a kick-back only at a very low speed. When I switch to a Sports mode it goes away. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks. David.

·
Conceited Prick
1,916 Posts
I had an issue like that with my step. When i slowed it seemed as though it would kick down. It did not do it upon acceleration, just deceleration. Just like yers it did not do it in sport mode. When I took it to my dealer I had to ride with their head mechanic and point it out to him. He had never seen it before and thought it was mechanical. Fortunately when they called BMWNA tech support, it was reported that the problem was software related and an update was available. Since my dealer did not have the capability to update the software, BMWNA overnighted a new VIN spec'd ECU. Hope this helps. My 'vert is an 02 as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tranny kick

This same thing happened to my car. It was really gettign on my nerves so I brought it in. I later found out that somehting had happened to the transmission and it was not software related. They had replace part of the tranny and ship the part in from Germany. My car now wroks fine.

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
dang, my car did that too, so do you guys think i should bring it in and fix it cause i got used to it and it dont really bug me anymore. the reason i dont want to bring it in cause i'm young, and the bmw dealer here treats me like ****.

·
Conceited Prick
1,916 Posts
Take it in. That's what the warranty is for. If you decided to trade it in, they would deduct for the problem right!! Its your right and their responsibility to fix any problems covered under warranty. If yer dealer is a D-bag, hopefully you have another one nearby. If so, than take it to them. I luckily have a wonderful dealer that treats me right and has been able to sqeeze me in on short notice when I needed it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Normal.

This is normal. Ok lets put it this way. Basically a tranny is a bunch of gears (planets) and a tank with fluid in it. When your car is moving, this fluid filled container is spining at high speed and allowed to continue to spin in BMW's so you have power on demand. So what happens when you stop, the container spins until the computer senses your coming to a stop based on brake, throttle, speed, and peddle position. So it disengages the tranny and applies a small brake to stop the spinning container. The disengaging of the gear and applying of the transmission brake is the little thump you feel. There actually is a term for this condition but I can't reall it but it was on www.howstuffworks.com. go there for more info.

DG_E46 said:
Just noticed recently, that when my car is cold (first 5-10 minutes of driving) in automatic mode, right before coming to a full stop I feel a little kick - -most certainly coming from transmission. It almost feels like a kick-back only at a very low speed. When I switch to a Sports mode it goes away. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thanks. David.

·
TX Dinan 3
796 Posts
i get that feeling when shifting, the step tranny feels like its forced into gear more than gently gliding into the gears now

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have this issue too......when I first got it there was no indications that there was a kick. However, I drove my GF car and she did not have this kick....so I'm wondering if it is a mechanical issue or a software issue....I have yet to bring it in.....

Another problem is that this tranny feels like its slipping sometimes.........esp. in 2nd and 4th gear.........

I'll need to check with the dealer and see........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts