BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon everyone,

I have a 2003 316ti se that I have owned now for 4 years.

Yesterday when I went to start it it just cranked over and there was no attempt to fire up. I attempted to start it about 20 times but nothing. I left the car for an hour, went back out and it fired first time.

Over the last year or so I have noticed that the idle the needle will move up and down a few mm and you can feel a very slight bumping from the engine.

When pulling away in first i sometimes get a kangarooing effect or the power will drop so low i have to dip the clutch so that I dont stall. Also when going from reverse and 1st every now and again the car will stall.

I have attempted to replicate the problem about 30 times but it starts now every time.

I brought it to my local garage today and they have read a reoccuring fault on the camshaft sensor and a normal fault on the crankshaft sensor.

They believe the camshaft is throwing the code out for the crankshaft sensor so they will be replacing the camshaft sensor today.

Does anyone wlse have any ideas? the fuel pump seems to be working fine, no fuses blown etc.

Anyone had similar issues?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

James

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Camshaft position sensors are know problem areas on these cars. They age and deteriorate over time and the signal they put out gets poor.

I would consider the fuel filter depending on the age. Not sure your car is set up like the 6 cylinder cars, but the fuel filter may have the pressure regulator built into it? Also check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line as well.

Fuel pumps have been a problem here with the 6 cylinder cars. Soft failures that do cause driveability problems.

Suggest you check the first 2 links below in my signature for more info and some ideas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

The garage phoned to say they have fitted the new cam sensor, reset the codes, test driven and all seems ok so fingers crossed. No doubt I will be back for more help of the problem continues

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys,

so a few days have passed and I seem to have alot more torque, no more idle proms and the old girl starts first time again. Fingers crossed it stays like this.

Does anyone have any experience with K&N filters, recommendations for drop in or intake?

Thanks

James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi everyone the car wouldn't start again today, left it over and hour the it fired up again. Drive about 1 mile and the engine stopped running whilst driving so pulled over and got towed. 2 problems
Now.

My abs light is now on, is this because I was towed? Will I go away?

Only 4.9v at the pins of the fuel pump now 12v so could this be the relay?

Please help

James

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
Hi everyone the car wouldn't start again today, left it over and hour the it fired up again. Drive about 1 mile and the engine stopped running whilst driving so pulled over and got towed. 2 problems
Now.

My abs light is now on, is this because I was towed? Will I go away?

Only 4.9v at the pins of the fuel pump now 12v so could this be the relay?

Please help

James
You can measure fuel pressure at the fuel rail...there's a tire valve under the cover.

Sometimes the relay fails and the 'free' test is to swap fuel pump relay with the horn relay...both are green and at either ends of the row of 4 relays behind your fuse panel in the glovebox. Easiest to remove entire glovebox if you can't unclip fuse panel and pull it out of the way.

But, FP is one of those things that fails intermittently before it fails all the way.

Of course, it could also just be you're out of gas, or you show you have 1/4 tank correctly, but it's in the wrong lobe of tank.

Have you tried adding fuel?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by the 4.9 V 'now' 12V reading you're getting...should be 12V afaik.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alot of people are talking about a crank shaft sensor. I dont have all the equipment I need so I am wondering what to do first? Thanks for all your help so far!

I will keep you updated

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
The crank shaft sensor is tucked deep down, but to get it off, I think it's just a single bolt...probably a good old 10 mm.

I'm 99% you can get to it from the top too. But, don't go by what people say. If a shop says intake or exhaust cam sensor, replace it yourself as it's very easy. You need a 32mm wrench to move vanos solenoid (silver film canister on front of engine).

No oil really drips and it exposes the cam pos sensor. I cut off the connector from old one and just pulled new connector down through the same path. Very easy. I haven't done exhaust side, but it's right there too.

Still, read up on stuff until you're fairly certain you're replacing the right things.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone. I had the crank shaft sensor changed today £250!! And so far so good so keeping my fingers crossed. After u got the car towed the abs lights were on and the speedo stopped working. The stage told me today tht the computer wouldn't connect to the abs system. When I got the car home I checked the fuses that the recovery guy played with and he had taken the abs fuse out and out it back in the wrong place! Couldn't believe it when I turned the key and they went out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts