BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 BMW 325i M54 215000+ miles </3
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I changed my Crankshaft Sensor with a brand new VDO sensor, I don't have a voltmeter so I couldn't check if it was faulty. I changed the sensor due to the P0335 code and of course the no start ( as shown here ). But I also had the P0700 code show up as well and that scared me.

Again today I replaced the old sensor with the new one and made sure everything was in tact and sure enough the car did not start... it would crank but not start unless i held it there for a while (RPMS did not move at all while trying to start it). I then sat there clearing codes and trying again and the one code that stayed there was P0700.

I really don't know what to do right now other than to make this discussion trying to get help. I know there's other discussions but i haven't seen any where there's both P0700 and P0335... and where they replace the sensor and it still acts the same way and the P0700 code is still there and the P0335 isn't.

Symptoms i'm having:

• Car will not start unless it's held for 12 seconds or so and when started the rpms jolt up and down and soon after rough idle

• Gear light w/exclamation near the P (varies between P R N D S etc.) icon.

• Again Rough Idle

• Significant power loss and no low end torque (partially due to broken disa flap which I'm repairing today)

• Stalling (brake, light eml, dsc)

·
Registered
884 Posts
First of all you need to get yourself a multi. You're not a man if you don't own a multi (just kidding). Here's the thing. No RPMs at all while cranking is a sign of knackered crank sensor. You said you replaced it. Are you sure you replaced it with new? If so you may need to check connector. Is there any sign of oil in the connector? Because sometimes they can leak in which case you would need to clean the connector pins and the new sensor pins with electrical connection cleaner spray. There are lots of crank but no start reasons to consider. But check that first. Not easy I know but has to be eliminated because of what you say about the no RPMs on crank.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
Today I changed my Crankshaft Sensor with a brand new VDO sensor, I don't have a voltmeter so I couldn't check if it was faulty. I changed the sensor due to the P0335 code and of course the no start ( as shown here ). But I also had the P0700 code show up as well and that scared me.

Again today I replaced the old sensor with the new one and made sure everything was in tact and sure enough the car did not start... it would crank but not start unless i held it there for a while (RPMS did not move at all while trying to start it). I then sat there clearing codes and trying again and the one code that stayed there was P0700.

I really don't know what to do right now other than to make this discussion trying to get help. I know there's other discussions but i haven't seen any where there's both P0700 and P0335... and where they replace the sensor and it still acts the same way and the P0700 code is still there and the P0335 isn't.

Symptoms i'm having:

• Car will not start unless it's held for 12 seconds or so and when started the rpms jolt up and down and soon after rough idle

• Gear light w/exclamation near the P (varies between P R N D S etc.) icon.

• Again Rough Idle

• Significant power loss and no low end torque (partially due to broken disa flap which I'm repairing today)

• Stalling (brake, light eml, dsc)

P0700 is a transmission code. Power loss, no torque, Gear light are all explained by transmission issues. Arguably the stalling can be from the transmission too. The trans module and the engine module both talk to each other, they could be fighting and one is telling the other that something it is looking for isn't right so the car does not start, or it does start buyt runs poorly.

You should be asking if the transmission controller could be at the root of your problems.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0700 is a transmission code. Power loss, no torque, Gear light are all explained by transmission issues. Arguably the stalling can be from the transmission too. The trans module and the engine module both talk to each other, they could be fighting and one is telling the other that something it is looking for isn't right so the car does not start, or it does start buyt runs poorly.

You should be asking if the transmission controller could be at the root of your problems.
what if i were to just buy another one would that solve the issue ?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all you need to get yourself a multi. You're not a man if you don't own a multi (just kidding). Here's the thing. No RPMs at all while cranking is a sign of knackered crank sensor. You said you replaced it. Are you sure you replaced it with new? If so you may need to check connector. Is there any sign of oil in the connector? Because sometimes they can leak in which case you would need to clean the connector pins and the new sensor pins with electrical connection cleaner spray. There are lots of crank but no start reasons to consider. But check that first. Not easy I know but has to be eliminated because of what you say about the no RPMs on crank.
i just sprayed the hell out of the connector with some electronic cleaner it did look like it had a little oil on it maybe due to me pulling out the dipstick when i was replacing the CCV who knows but we shall see i will spray it again here in a little bit and wipe it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts