BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats goin on guys, I am right now 2 hours away from home in Charlottesville and my car acting up on me..

earlier today when i left the area i shifted from 1st to second, but instead of a usual 2nd gear take off my car kind of stuttered. Immediately my check engine light came on and the idle of the car seemed like VERY low RPM like it was going to shut off.

I continued on my way, there is no problem in the higher gears with some gas but in 1st thrugh 3rd gear the car hops much like ti would if the car was in too high a gear...
Anywyas I dont know what to do, Jiffy Lube people had no clue- TRans and all fluids r ok....

I m due for a tune up which I was planning on doing next week, but this seems really bad. I dont know if it could be the fuel pump or what, I admittedly dont know as much about cars as I would like.

Stealership is closed, ws planning on driving home todaya but who knows.
Please elp me out guys, Im in a bind, I dont know if I should even ndrive it home bc it seesm to be getting worse :cry:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!!! anyone.......Im hitting the road hopefully my car doesnt die in the middle of nowhere. IF anyone knows what this problem is and its not DRivable please call me ASAP 703 772 8199 bc Im going on 2hour journey....please if anyone knows what the deal is then reply. :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dinane46328i said:
good luck buddy, if u need need anymore hlep give me a call 916-220-3180
thanks! :thumbup:

My car goes into the shop tomorrow, hopefully its nothing too crazy sounds like fuel injectors or plugs maybe...we'll see!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BudMan2003 said:
I guess you made it back ok?
yeah man...The problem only exists to be in 1st thru 3rd gear and the drive was mostly highway, I was just concerned that I would further damage my car by driving it more, but I really had no choice. It all workerd out, Im actually about to change my plugs/ wires now so hopefully thatll do the trick!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After changing the spark plugs this week, the problem seemed to be gone, and my car drove better than ever. I thought that the plugs were the problem since the old ones looked pretty fried and my car wasnt stuttering anymore or idling wierd at stoplights....

Anyways it happened again yesterday...the accelleration was feeling delayed so i put in 2nd gear with some gas and it started stuttering(for lack of better description) again, check engine light came on and idle was screwed up again at complete stop...this morning light was off, car drove more regularly again...

When I initially posted this thread someone called and said that it was probably feul injectors, but is that tied to spark plugs in anyways because problem was gone for a good few days after I put in the Bosch +4s.

I have searched and found some instances where others have had problems with wierd idling problems etc., where BMW cant match it up with anything for diagnosis..and my check engine light isnt on so I cant read the code...any sort of input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mike1r said:
After changing the spark plugs this week, the problem seemed to be gone, and my car drove better than ever. I thought that the plugs were the problem since the old ones looked pretty fried and my car wasnt stuttering anymore or idling wierd at stoplights....

Anyways it happened again yesterday...the accelleration was feeling delayed so i put in 2nd gear with some gas and it started stuttering(for lack of better description) again, check engine light came on and idle was screwed up again at complete stop...this morning light was off, car drove more regularly again...

When I initially posted this thread someone called and said that it was probably feul injectors, but is that tied to spark plugs in anyways because problem was gone for a good few days after I put in the Bosch +4s.

I have searched and found some instances where others have had problems with wierd idling problems etc., where BMW cant match it up with anything for diagnosis..and my check engine light isnt on so I cant read the code...any sort of input would be greatly appreciated
Probably plug wires.
Maybe Fuel pressure regulator?
Did you change the wires as well? If not, then moving the wires to change the plugs could have eased the problem for a short time. You may have a crack in a wire somewhere which may be causing arcing. Do you hear any loud "click, click, click" when it starts to stutter?
Also, you can wait until it's dark, open the hood and start the engine. You'll want clear access to see the plug wires. You'll look for any sparks or arcing which will indicate bad wires. Plug boots are alos notorious for having small cracks which can cause problems.

You could take it to a BMW mechanic or even a BMW dealer tech.
The code is probably still stored in the ECU/ECM.

TT

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BlackChrome said:
I'd like to see you finding the plug wires on the e46. :p
lol...do those coils go bad, or the coil wires?
Hopefully the code has been saved though bc im bringing it to a friend tomorrow morning to have it read, i hope its nothing big but it feels like it might be transmission related :cry:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
BlackChrome said:
I'd like to see you finding the plug wires on the e46. :p

:) Ok, ok.
The coils and plug connectors then.
My brain was stuck in older tech mode. Give this guy a break man.
My first car was a 1971 Chevy Biscayne with an inline 6, 1 barrel carb, auto trans. It had distributor caps, wires, rotor, etc...

So, please allow me to "update" the equivalent of said spark plug wires.
Ignition Coil and spark plug connector.
I'm still thinking it's spark/ignition related. So, check the wir....er....
coils and plug connectors. :shhh:

TT

Attachments

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mike1r said:
lol...do those coils go bad, or the coil wires?
Hopefully the code has been saved though bc im bringing it to a friend tomorrow morning to have it read, i hope its nothing big but it feels like it might be transmission related :cry:
Yes, absolutely. Audi was having big troubles with coil packs on their A4's.
They couldn't keep up with the demand due to too many failures.
The "boot" plug connector could split and leak causing arcing.
The coil itself could have a crack in it or it could just go bad causing misfires.

TT

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire

"P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire" :dunno:

I have already replaced the plugs, so is replacing the coils my best bet? I am no longer under warranty unfortunately

The enging light is off but I can definately feel the misfire and woud like to take care of it.

The light comes on when I drive it hard or if the rpms arent steady, then it triggers a very noticable difference and the car come pretty close to stalling. Once I shut my car off the light turns off and its not as bad.

Now the check engine light isnt on, but I can feel that the misfire is interfering wtih what this cars perfromance. Any input would help me determine how to tackle this problem! Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
mike1r said:
"P0306 - cylinder 6 misfire" :dunno:

I have already replaced the plugs, so is replacing the coils my best bet? I am no longer under warranty unfortunately

The enging light is off but I can definately feel the misfire and woud like to take care of it.

The light comes on when I drive it hard or if the rpms arent steady, then it triggers a very noticable difference and the car come pretty close to stalling. Once I shut my car off the light turns off and its not as bad.

Now the check engine light isnt on, but I can feel that the misfire is interfering wtih what this cars perfromance. Any input would help me determine how to tackle this problem! Thanks
try switching the coil so you tell wather that is the real problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did anyone ever figure out this problem becuase I have had the same problems. At first under extended warranty I took my car to the stealership. The coil was replaced for $180.00 w/ 100.00 deduc. My car ran fine for a few days then same problem. Took car back to dealership and plugs were replaced for $200.00. My car ran fine for a few days then it started doing the same thing. My next move is to replace the boots, but I'm running out of money and patients. I guess I'm going to change them myself unless the extended warranty covers this. It seems as if when one thing goes wrong the entire ignition system screws up. Please help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts