E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1999 e39 528i 2001 e46 325i
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently purchased a e39 which are notorious for their hood latches not working recently replaced both locks and the hood latch wire. But now my cars hood is stuck shut. When I mean stuck I mean stuck (took the kidney grills out and tried prying at the wire. Tried using the mechanism to unlock it nothing is working. The passenger side is the one not unlocking the other one unlocks just fine.

That's the side that's stuck any ideas on how to get it open?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

This is where I tried to wrench it open with the hood latch release cable

·
Registered
110 Posts
Try a torx bit in a socket. unbolt the hood portion of the latch.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Circled in the pic is one of the bolts. Im not sure how many your car has. But if you were to unbolt it the latch would no longer be attached to the hood and you could raise the hood.
hood.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts

Here is what I THINK is a pic of your latch. two bolt points. Unbolt those and the latch should be free from the hood. Might be a pain, may need to bend the handle a bit, but should be doable.
latch.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Crud... I just realized you may be talking about a complete different part.... the ones that are realeased via the cable in the cabin... well same thought applies. see if you can get at the bolts... may need to get creative with your tools... possibly cut a torx wrench down and use a normal wrench on it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
latch 2.jpg

This may be the piece you need to unbolt... good luck.... its gonna be a bitch...

·
Registered
110 Posts
See if you can get a picture to the left of that latch... that is just the hand release lever. Not the cable released part... Sorry, I kinda misled you I believe...

·
Registered
110 Posts
yes. those are held by the cable system.

Another option... Hacksaw blade and just cut it off. that will at least enable you to open the hood. Then you could just replace that part when you fix the malfunctining locking mechanisim.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes. those are held by the cable system.

Another option... Hacksaw blade and just cut it off. that will at least enable you to open the hood. Then you could just replace that part when you fix the malfunctining locking mechanisim.

I'm not sure if I can get behind it to unbolt it how would I get a hacksaw in there I saw a video where they unscrewed the mall connector but they had to take the bumper off

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would just use the blade, not the whole saw... But if you found a vid of someone doing it by taking the bumper off, perhaps that would be a less destructive method... Your car, your choice. But sometimes its kinda thereputic to just cut off a piece of the car when it pisses you off.... :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would just use the blade, not the whole saw... But if you found a vid of someone doing it by taking the bumper off, perhaps that would be a less destructive method... Your car, your choice. But sometimes its kinda thereputic to just cut off a piece of the car when it pisses you off.... :)
I feel like using just the blade would take forever 🤣

·
Registered
110 Posts
yea, it will take a while, but would work. Ive done similar on my older mustang. ended up drilling a hole about an inch up the blade and then two holes in a blade that fit my sawzall. bolted them together and had a 1.5 foot long hacksaw blade. worked for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea, it will take a while, but would work. Ive done similar on my older mustang. ended up drilling a hole about an inch up the blade and then two holes in a blade that fit my sawzall. bolted them together and had a 1.5 foot long hacksaw blade. worked for me.
These stupid locks are a pain well thank you for your help I'm gonna take the front bumper off tomorrow morning and hopefully I can unscrew the lock. But how the heck do I prevent this from happening in the future?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't even know how it got stuck I put in new female locks yesterday and they both work why does it wanna do hold onto that male lock so bad?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sur eif this is your issue, but it COULD be that the male part is set to short and is putting so much pressure on the lock that it cannot release. if you have someone who can help you, have them press down on the hood right over the latch and act like they are giving it CPR while you pull the cable. IF my thought is right, you may be able to release it.

Or it could be something binding in the cable system, or even a broken cable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts