BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Had a long drive a few weeks ago when the EML light came on in my '05 M3. Power was limited (as expected, and the light went away after I stopped for gas and restarted the car). Then, after 40 miles or so on the highway, when coming to a stop sign, the EML, DSC, and yellow BRAKE light all came on, and power was severely limited (to the extent that I could barely pull away from the stop). Dropped to my mechanic and had the throttle position switch replaced, fully knowing it could be something worse (but figured we'd try the cheaper fix first). Cut to now, and the same thing happened (also on a longish drive, after a lot of highway driving). Restarting the engine temporally fixes it, but I am wondering if anyone has come across this issue or has any suggestions on what to do next. Has anyone sucessfully resolved this issue with EML DSC and brake coming on? Thanks, all help appreciated!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pull codes before random question on forum. You might have to pull codes when the problem occurs.
FWIW I once had an intermittent knock sensor failure that caused a very low power situation on an audi V8; it could only be diagnosed when it was happening and like yours restarting the motor often fixed it temporarily. Dynamic Stability Control and yellow Brake light are often associated with ABS control unit failure. Drive at about 30mph and dynamite the brake pedal...if your ABS doesn't kick in (and you should know by now how that feels like) you've likely got a failed ABS control unit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull codes before random question on forum. You might have to pull codes when the problem occurs.
FWIW I once had an intermittent knock sensor failure that caused a very low power situation on an audi V8; it could only be diagnosed when it was happening and like yours restarting the motor often fixed it temporarily. Dynamic Stability Control and yellow Brake light are often associated with ABS control unit failure. Drive at about 30mph and dynamite the brake pedal...if your ABS doesn't kick in (and you should know by now how that feels like) you've likely got a failed ABS control unit.
Thanks for the help. Do you have recommendations on software to pull codes? I have a Carly adapter and used the app for a while before they became subscription based (didn't love it though).

·
Registered
361 Posts
It could simply be an abs/dsc sensor not the entire unit. Check front left and rear right, those are most common.

For pulling codes, you can go to autozone and ask them to pull codes for you for free. You can download the torque app (free) and assuming you have a bluetooth adapter, use that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I should also add that I could definitely the engine knocking or jerking, which would come and go when cruising at highway speeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the exact same problem less than 6 months ago. I was on a road trip and the car would run on the highway, but the same lights would come on. As soon as I got off the highway and the revs came down to idle it would drop into Limp Mode. I'd shut it off at the gas station, start it back up and nurse it onto the high and up to speed before the symptoms came back.

I could feel a miss in the engine too, which is what helped trigger such a Christmas Tree of warning lights. I was going to do both Throttle Position Sensors on the motor and replace the pedal. But based on the advice of Bimmerworld I just did the two on the engine. We traced the miss to coils so I replaced all of them. That cured it and the thing has run smoothly since then.

With that said, getting it to a place where they can pull all the codes, not just the basic ones in the engine, but the entire car, is totally worth it. Knowing for sure what parts need replacing can save a lot of effort.

Hope that helps.
Dana

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the exact same problem less than 6 months ago. I was on a road trip and the car would run on the highway, but the same lights would come on. As soon as I got off the highway and the revs came down to idle it would drop into Limp Mode. I'd shut it off at the gas station, start it back up and nurse it onto the high and up to speed before the symptoms came back.

I could feel a miss in the engine too, which is what helped trigger such a Christmas Tree of warning lights. I was going to do both Throttle Position Sensors on the motor and replace the pedal. But based on the advice of Bimmerworld I just did the two on the engine. We traced the miss to coils so I replaced all of them. That cured it and the thing has run smoothly since then.

With that said, getting it to a place where they can pull all the codes, not just the basic ones in the engine, but the entire car, is totally worth it. Knowing for sure what parts need replacing can save a lot of effort.

Hope that helps.
Dana
Thanks so much, Dana. This is very helpful. By the way did you ever have the Service Engine light come on as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Excellent, I'm glad it was helpful.

I've had SEL light a few times, I did have it as part of the problem we are talking about now. And last Fall I had it come on (with another light but I can't recall which). Puling the engine codes that first time led me to Vanos problems. I went all in with Besain Systems and fully rebuilt it. That's been working beautifully since then.

Dana

·
Registered
19 Posts
Look into the Steering Angle Sensor. Had it with my previous '05 ZHP. My '06 M3 has had it happen a few times, but not bad enough to change it. It took a long time to figure it out. It is a donut-like part inside the steering column.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ran an autologic quick test report and got these. I'm not too familiar, so any help would be much appreciated.

DIGITAL MOTOR ELECTRONICS (DME)
18 Faults
(120)78 Electric throttle, potentiometer, signal comparison
(119)77 Electric throttle, signal, potentiometer, throttle
(118)76 Electric throttle, signal, potentiometer, throttle
(107)6B Electric throttle, self test
(121)79 Electric throttle, both potentiometers faulty
(105)69 Engine temperature, signal implausible
(013)0D Oxygen sensor, bank 1, before catalytic converter, signal
(144)90 Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, function
(205)CD Misfire, cylinder 1, with cylinder cut-out
(206)CE Misfire, cylinder 2, with cylinder cut-out
(207)CF Misfire, cylinder 3, with cylinder cut-out

CENTRAL BODY ELECTRONICS (ZKE)
2 Faults
3AWiper: relay, pump or lead for headlight washers
0EANTI-TRAP PASSENGER SIDE!

LIGHT SWITCHING CENTRE (LSZ)
1 fault
TURNINDICATOR, FRONT RIGHT

ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS) (dsc_mk60)
1 fault
5E19CAN data error from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)

HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING (IHK)
1 fault
AUCheating

RAIN SENSOR (AIC/)
1 fault
00044 Optical initialisation

PASSENGER MIRROR MEMORY (SPMBT) (SPMBT)
1 fault
0005Mirror heater, open circuit

·
Registered
13 Posts
In your first post you mentioned the Throttle Position Sensor. Did you replace both the ones on the engine, or just the one up front? That report has a lot of TPS related issues. The miss fire codes match up with what I was seeing on mine. I replaced all the coils, on the logic that if one or two were bad, the others would follow soon. I'd also do plugs at the same time, unless you did that recently already.

I'd look at curing the miss fire before I looked at O2 sensors. If the car is miss firing, then the O2 is going to get a fat rich signal from the un-burned fuel.

f you replace the two TPS's on the engine and still get a TPS code then it's on to the throttle pedal, more expensive, but not terribly hard to replace.

I got one of those weird temp sensor codes, but I cleared it and it never came back.

Hope that helps,
Dana

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ran an autologic quick test report and got these. I'm not too familiar, so any help would be much appreciated.

DIGITAL MOTOR ELECTRONICS (DME)
18 Faults
(144)90 Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, function
(205)CD Misfire, cylinder 1, with cylinder cut-out
(206)CE Misfire, cylinder 2, with cylinder cut-out
(207)CF Misfire, cylinder 3, with cylinder cut-out

CENTRAL BODY ELECTRONICS (ZKE)
2 Faults
3AWiper: relay, pump or lead for headlight washers
0EANTI-TRAP PASSENGER SIDE!

LIGHT SWITCHING CENTRE (LSZ)
1 fault
TURNINDICATOR, FRONT RIGHT

ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS) (dsc_mk60)
1 fault
5E19CAN data error from DME/DDE (DSC lamp on as long as error is present)

HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING (IHK)
1 fault
AUCheating

RAIN SENSOR (AIC/)
1 fault

00044 Optical initialisation

PASSENGER MIRROR MEMORY (SPMBT) (SPMBT)
1 fault
0005Mirror heater, open circuit
All good that you got the codes, now clear them and see what comes back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In your first post you mentioned the Throttle Position Sensor. Did you replace both the ones on the engine, or just the one up front? That report has a lot of TPS related issues. The miss fire codes match up with what I was seeing on mine. I replaced all the coils, on the logic that if one or two were bad, the others would follow soon. I'd also do plugs at the same time, unless you did that recently already.

I'd look at curing the miss fire before I looked at O2 sensors. If the car is miss firing, then the O2 is going to get a fat rich signal from the un-burned fuel.

f you replace the two TPS's on the engine and still get a TPS code then it's on to the throttle pedal, more expensive, but not terribly hard to replace.

I got one of those weird temp sensor codes, but I cleared it and it never came back.

Hope that helps,
Dana
Good thought. I just replaced one actually, so I'll into that second one. I did the plugs 20k miles ago and will look into coils as well. I totally agree now that you say it; the O2 sensors could very well be a bi-product of any misfire issues. Hoping its not the pedal, but I'll post any updates.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everyone,

Had a long drive a few weeks ago when the EML light came on in my '05 M3. Power was limited (as expected, and the light went away after I stopped for gas and restarted the car). Then, after 40 miles or so on the highway, when coming to a stop sign, the EML, DSC, and yellow BRAKE light all came on, and power was severely limited (to the extent that I could barely pull away from the stop). Dropped to my mechanic and had the throttle position switch replaced, fully knowing it could be something worse (but figured we'd try the cheaper fix first). Cut to now, and the same thing happened (also on a longish drive, after a lot of highway driving). Restarting the engine temporally fixes it, but I am wondering if anyone has come across this issue or has any suggestions on what to do next. Has anyone sucessfully resolved this issue with EML DSC and brake coming on? Thanks, all help appreciated!!
Check the Steering Angle Sensor. It happened in my '05 ZHP. It took forever to figure it out but when it is off, it disables all of those mechanisms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check the Steering Angle Sensor. It happened in my '05 ZHP. It took forever to figure it out but when it is off, it disables all of those mechanisms.
Yes, thanks so much. I will. Do you remember if you got any specific Steering Angle Sensor code? The QT I ran indicated no faults with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cleared the codes and am now having a hard time inducing the problem again. I don't think this issue could have just disappeared so going to keep driving in hope that the lights come on and I can pull codes then. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Have driven the car for 5 hours or so (highway and city), and no faults or acting up...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts