BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've had the airbag light now on for a couple months and inspection is coming up and I need to clear it. I bought the B800 tool and came up with these two codes:

Table 10
-51 Fault Lamp (AWL)
-F0 Internal Error

I've been researching and I haven't come up with much

Could someone please help me :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to the guy im going to take it to and he said it will fail with it being on. Do you think error 51 is also caused by this?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Call another place and ask them, In NC the airbag light does not fail an inspection and Ive never heard of it failing in other states. They usually look for CEL's and will check the DME for current faults or readiness codes.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
As far as I know, the only reason why airbag light goes off is if an airbag the car is looking for is missing, or if the car had its airbags replaced after an accident but the person didn't know how to turn it off. If you need to rid yourself of the light both to pass inspection or it being an eye sore, I'd recommend using pa soft bmw scanner. Costs under $30. It can tell the car to not look for an airbag whether its there or not. A quick fix to get you to slide by and worry about the issue later

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
759 Posts
^ Im with this guy, get a pa soft scanner (I thought that's what you had until I read the post again) for more accurate fault definitions, rarely does the module fail. I would hate for you to replace the module only to find out the seat belt connector was loose....

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I think you can delete airbags with pa soft. Do it as a bandaid and then fix after inspection?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think you can delete airbags with pa soft. Do it as a bandaid and then fix after inspection?
Do you mean "clear codes" or actually disable the airbag sensors from tripping the warning light?

If the former, if the underlying reason for triggering the codes is not resolved, the continuous monitoring of the airbag module will simply retrigger the light when it finds the faults still present.

If the latter, that is not true: there is no way to "disable" the airbag warning light or fault monitoring system.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wait now that I have the scanner what exactly can i do to make this airbag light go away?
Depends on the code and the underlying cause for that code.

If it was trigger to an inadvertent disconnect of an airbag module with the battery was still connected, you may be able to simply clear the code and the system will detect that airbag properly connected and won't retrigger the warning light.

If a sensor/circuit is malfunctioned or deployed (e.g. BST cable blew but the ends were simply reconnected), then you need to physically address that/those issues in order to keep the warning light from triggering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts