E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 325i MANUAL

I was on a very steep road in DWNTWN Seattle (heater blowing, music blasting). I engaged e-brake to help me clutch into 1st gear up the hill. When all of a sudden @3,000RPM it stalled. Might have been operators error. I took the key out, tried to re start the car, but it didn't even turn... I thought I blew a fuse, but after letting the car sit for about 5min, I tried again & it started! I'm on my way to Portland for the wknd so I really hope that was the last of my troubles..

Any ideas on what the cause could be??

·
Registered
29,904 Posts
2001 325i MANUAL

I was on a very steep road in DWNTWN Seattle (heater blowing, music blasting). I engaged e-brake to help me clutch into 1st gear up the hill. When all of a sudden @3,000RPM it stalled. Might have been operators error. I took the key out, tried to re start the car, but it didn't even turn... I thought I blew a fuse, but after letting the car sit for about 5min, I tried again & it started! I'm on my way to Portland for the wknd so I really hope that was the last of my troubles..

Any ideas on what the cause could be??
didn't crank at all? sounds like battery.

see sig, click on maintenance. replace battery, fsr, vr

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,034 Posts
Anyway, check your connections in the bat system...particularly cable on battery. If it's a brand new battery and you just charged it, I'm wondering why? Were you getting a slow crank or something and thought it needed some charging.

Anyway, since you had bat out recently, make sure the connections on terminals are tight...pull up on them. Check for tightness under the + terminal under the hood.

Also, there's a screw on connection behind the panel behind the battery somewhere.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will double check the terminal connection. Only thing that confuses me is why would heat/radio keep working? While the car was stalled, it showed brunt tail lamps alert

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
While the car was stalled, it showed brunt tail lamps alert
I would check all grounds, including the one at the battery, the main engine ground on the passenger engine mount, and even the individual grounds for the taillights themselves. Long shot, but worth having a look.

Not a battery issue since it started right up 5 minutes later. Could be fuel delivery since you were on a steep incline.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The advanced BMW code scanner a pending code for over flow leak detection? DME I think? Located above the rear wheel well. Cleared it, not sure if it has come back. Could that be relative?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Random switching off could be fuel pick up from the tank. As someone already asked, what was your fuel level.

My money is on alternator, fuel pump, sensor in that order.

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What's a can sensor?
I've replaced intake camshaft sensor before, could that be relative?:hmm:
Typo. Ya cam sensor. Lol. Sorry I didn't realise that your car wasn't even cranking. It won't be the sensor then. My money is on the ign switch. Don't know what the pending code means. I'll read up on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the alternator has been changed (60k mi ago), I don't think that went bad already. Fuel pump I replaced about 10k mi ago (oem). Would that mean ignition switch for sure?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a full tank of ethanol free fuel.

New battery
New fuel pump/relay/filter
Newer alternator (40k mi ago)

Sometimes it delays about 1 second when trying to start.

Ill check all grounds again but what's left after that?

Starter or ignition switch?

·
Registered
313 Posts
1) You have angel eyes? Is so, how is the primary power wired up? Straight to the (+)terminal under the hood? My car stalled because of the connection being lose. After I removed that wire, no more stalls.

2) verify if you alternator is even charging your battery efficiently. Do you have an aftermarket sound system? That can drain your power as well.

3) when was the last time you changed your Pre-Cat O2 sensors?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
While Yonpds might be right about the grounding and connection, I doubt the O2 sensors can cause this. Go with the ignition key. BTW do you have a BMW scanner? A code helps in diagnosis quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts