E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend accidentally locked my keys in the car last week with the car running and our puppy in it.

No problem...... I will use the plastic valet key in my wallet...wrong, damn thing broke of in the lock (did get the door open though). Any idea's on how to get it out?

·
Read Only
12,638 Posts
bring the car to your car dealer they would

be the best ones to take it out of the lock. i guess they would have to take out the door handle to get to the key. but i think that would b the best bet.
they know their cars. if the dealer can't do it i think they would take it to their body shop from the dealer they should be able to do it.
also i guess a locksmith maybe could take it out for you they would have the knowledge to do that. that would be faster i guess then if they say no then take it to your dealer. call up the locksmith and ask them first. good luck
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good thing you eventually were able to get the door open.

As for the key stuck in the door, you have the following options:
1) leave the broken key in there as a security measure; this way no one can
stick a screwdriver in there and bust your lock to enter the car - too many
stories on this board where this has happened; isn't there some vendor who
sells a door lock cover to permanently disable the door lock :dunno:
2) if part of the key sticks out of the lock, you may get it out by using some
needle-nose pliers; if the broken part of the key is completely in the lock
mechanism then you may have to move to option 3
3) replace the door lock at the dealer

maybe there are other ideas out there...

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,467 Posts
^^^lol

if the key is stuck in there couldnt they just theoretically take something to turn the cylinder and the doors will open (since the actual key part is doing its job inside the lock cylinder?)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dalton said:
^^^lol

if the key is stuck in there couldnt they just theoretically take something to turn the cylinder and the doors will open (since the actual key part is doing its job inside the lock cylinder?)
This is possible only if the left-over part of the key in the lock cylinder has COMPLETEY set the lock's pins in the open position AND if there is still room in the keyhole to stick a screwdriver in there to turn the cylinder. If there is no room to stick a screwdriver in the keyhole then I don't know how you can turn the cylinder.

Perhaps pics of the door-lock in question would help us give better answers to this problem.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,467 Posts
well i figure all the lock pins must be engaged. im assuming he stuck the key in and began to turn when the key broke. you could take some of those thin metal tools used for picking locks to turn the cylinder :dunno:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, pictures of the keyhole might help. Other wise I think using crazy glue to bond a piece of metal to the plastic and try pull it out like that. Just be careful not ruin the lock, or the plastic key.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Can someone who has removed their door lock look at the lock cylinder and see if he could use a bit of wire from the back of the lock to push the plastic out? I think you are probably taking your door apart but you could try the super glue idea first.

Tim

·
Registered
581 Posts
tim330i said:
I think you are probably taking your door apart but you could try the super glue idea first.

Tim
I agree with the super glue idea, I had a same kind of experience with other key(not my bmw) but it worked! :thumbup:

by the way, I'm a new and nice to meet you guys. :bow:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Superglue... and other ideas

Interesting problem...

Superglue maight not be such a good idea given the plastic the key is made of. From looking at my key and from my experience with CA glues the porous nature of the plastic might not give you enough tensile strength. If glue does not help you can always try using a small drill (micro bits like the ones used in plastic modeling) to drill a hole and a thin (1-2mm) screw to thread in and pull the key out. Or just go to your dealer...

·
Registered
491 Posts
mikeson said:
I agree with the super glue idea, I had a same kind of experience with other key(not my bmw) but it worked! :thumbup:

by the way, I'm a new and nice to meet you guys. :bow:
welcome mate :) I'm still kinda new too, but i'm already way too much on this forum :thumbup:

Cheers,

Andy :hi:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all of the suggestions. I would like to avoid the dealer or locksmith if possible. I think I am going to try some tweezers or the micro drill bit idea. BTW there is only about half of the key in the lock and I wouldn't mind leaving it there I am just afraid that with my luck my remote will quit working one day and I will end up with a busted window trying to get my car open.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
find someone with some old Dental Tools, thesework great for this kind of thing... once removed a broken key out of a friends front door with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.