BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been practicing plasti dipping in order to get ready to Plasti Dip my rims. Has anyone Plasti Dipped their rims before and has it lasted for awhile because my buddy told me the dip begins to peel off after a couple of day's.

·
:D
7,796 Posts
if the surface is clean before you dip it should last a while. it's hard to keep clean though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guy's! I still haven't decided if I'll plasti dip the rims or not but for right now I'm just gonna focus on the mechanical issues.

·
Registered
311 Posts
it sucks to remove if you don't spray it on thick enough (counter-intuitive, I know...) but a pressure washer makes easy work of it

I dipped my subaru wheels and it lasted the 6 months that the car did

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I use the philosophy, and it's not counter intuitive at all if you think about it. Pressure washing is the easiest, if not the only way to wash the stuff, and its still a pain to remove. Give me some sand papers and can of paint any day over plasti dip on wheels.

edit: I just finished painting some 18"s, check out my build.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My summer rims have been dipped for a year now, winter rims have 1.5 years under their belt. I have nothing bad to say about the durability, I pressure wash my rims once every 2 weeks or so (once a week on winter rims) and the dip won't peel. But I will say this: If you do a poor job, you get a **** result (same as everything else). Plasti dip without the glossifier (matt plasti dip) is a pain to keep clean and just to clean in general, thus making them look worse than they are. That's my experience so far. I'm really not looking forward to peeling it off though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use to have a set of wheels that I dipped. Lasted around six years until I sold them. I just tire shined after cleaning them and they looked decent. I probably had about 15 coats on them though. On the other hand I (regrettingly) dipped my entire car once. It looked "good" for a few months but it was such a bitch to keep clean that eventually it started to looked faded. It took hours and hours with a pressure washer, goo gone, simple green, scotch brite, and gasoline to remove it all

·
Registered
438 Posts
My wheels were dipped by the PO, and while from afar they look fine, up close you can see spots that are peeling on the spokes. Also, when I had Tires Plus reseat the rubber on the rims due to a bead leak, they moved the weights to rebalance, and the old weight spot is now blank.

Bottom line, I wouldn't do it again. Do it with paint, or not at all. And don't paint over the balancing weights. :facepalm:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts