BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for all you audiophiles that are in the know. I am going to be purchasing an A/D/S amp (probably the P450, 50 watts X4), but I need to confirm that it will be plug-n-play for my car. I DO NOT WANT TO USE LINE LEVEL CONVERTERS. Can anyone confirm that this amp will accept the signal from my current NAV head unit before I take the plunge and buy this thing???

Any correct information will result in a great big smile.

Thanks in advance,

-Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
My GUESS, is that no, it won't work. I have heard some say that they have the high end a/d/s amps working. Some have said their's don't. You are probably going to need a Ven2/Ven4. I don't have the amp you are asking about, so I don't know for sure, but 50x4 doesn't sound like their "high end" line.??

If you are spending the money on a high end a/d/s amp, you won't want the sound quality of the stock headunit anyway. But if you have the nav, I guess your stuck with it.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Well, here are the facts. Our stock head units use balanced line outputs (or called differential output). a/d/s/ amps also have balanced line inputs. I don't see why it wouldn't be plug and play. "31st330i", or Paul, has successfully done this and you can go to his web site for further details.

Um, his bandwidth limitation has been exceeded so it's temporarily unavailable.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,995 Posts
the stock signal can be boosted giving you a better and cleaner signal with a line driver. although, im gonna guess that amp will boost its signal also giving you a cleaner signal to listen to...

·
Registered
687 Posts
I believe you can check by finding out what the specs are for the amp inputs, i.e., if it can only take an input voltage of 2V or less (most amps are 800mV-2V), then you're out of luck.

David Bagby's Stereo Saga ( http://www.bimmerfest.com/faq/stereosaga.html) says that an HK head unit puts out up to a 12V signal, which would cause a 2V max input amp to distort.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Happen to be surfing the a/d/s/ site today, and it turns out the P450's input sensitivity is 100mv-10V, so might work...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally contacted A/D/S

and I found that the new version of the P-series amps, the ones with the ".2" after their names, are plug and play. I found the P650.2 at www.mainstreet-audio.com for a decent price, so it is now on the way and I will let you know how it goes. Pat, the representative from A/D/S has assured me that there will be no problem with this amp, all I need is signal that I can grad either at the head unit or at the amp, and that's it. I'll let you all know how this goes.

-Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts