BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 03' M3 today and i ordered a valentine 1...however while i was driving around today i was wondering where i was going to put it.

I mean i am definitely going to get the little concealed valentine 1 thing for the box thing in front of the shifter but where would be the best place to put the actual radar detector so that it is concealed

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
One question for you. 1) Why would you want to conceal it? Radars aren't illegal in your state. Best place is to mount it up nice and high on your windshield.. when you use the concealed Valentine 1, it's basicly a half ass radar detector. :)

BTW- Congrats on your new ride! She's SWEET!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One question for you. 1) Why would you want to conceal it? Radars aren't illegal in your state. Best place is to mount it up nice and high on your windshield.. when you use the concealed Valentine 1, it's basicly a half ass radar detector. :)

BTW- Congrats on your new ride! She's SWEET!
It does not matter at all if they are illegal or not...i am telling you right now that if your speeding and a cop pulls you over, the second he sees that radar detector to him is a bad sign.

It is not a good thing for cops to see regardless of whether they are legal or not. So i conceal it.

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
isn't it also illegal to hang things from your windshield in cali?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
That is true, cops will almost always give you a ticket instead of a warning when they see a radar detector, legal or not.

On the other hand, what use is your detector when it won't work effectively? You should look into a concealed detector, which the sensors are mounted separate of the main unit, and the main unit can be discretely hidden under the dash. Unfortunately those go for usually over $1000 and have to be professionally installed.

I'm also looking into radar detectors, mainly because I got a freaking ticket today for doing 58 mph in a 40 mph zone. Luckily for me the cop was being somewhat cool, because technically I was in a 35 mph zone and the ticket would have been double!

So great, $200 lighter wallet and 8 hours of comedy traffic school are in my future :bawling:

·
Registered
11 Posts
first.. V1 is one of the best.. second the BEST place to mount it is directly in the MIDDLE of the windshield... to cover the front and rear of the vehicle ..

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
i hear different things from everyone. i would love to here the real thing to do.
1) i hear high sometimes "so u can get errant laser readings and more Ka hits"
2) i hear low sometimes "so u can know when laser is fixed on ur plate and so cops are less likely to hear it"

i no way claim these are appropriate but those and other things ive heard here, other forums, and from friends.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would have to agree and say right in the middle of the windshield would be the best place for function. Right move with the v1, it's the best, but as far as concealing it goes, maybe to the left of the rearview mirrow? Just above your eye level and hardwire it in?

·
Registered
282 Posts
For best stealth I would look into the K-40 Calibre bluetooth setup. Laser defuser to "jam"/deflect their attempts at locking in on you hidden either in grille and rear plate or on front and rear plate. Verbally tells you what direction you are about to get hit from and is completely concealed, your eyes never have to leave the road. They will pay for any tickets that you get too in the first year (provided you are not an idiot and speed recklessly in a work zone or school zone).

Have it in my Cayenne and love it. Soon to install it in the Bim. You can have tone only, voice, or mute with just lights. There is no power button so once you shut it off with the remote you can easily hide it if tagged in a "no radar" state, and you won't get a ticket.
Return the valentine, not that they are not good radar detectors, but if you have a nice car, as you do, don't cheap out and get one that clutters your car's interior.
Sample with short vid clip here
http://web.mac.com/kooser/iWeb/Kooser's Car Gallery/K-40 Calibre Bluetooth Radar.html

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
For best stealth I would look into the K-40 Calibre bluetooth setup. Laser defuser to "jam"/deflect their attempts at locking in on you hidden either in grille and rear plate or on front and rear plate. Verbally tells you what direction you are about to get hit from and is completely concealed, your eyes never have to leave the road. They will pay for any tickets that you get too in the first year (provided you are not an idiot and speed recklessly in a work zone or school zone).

Have it in my Cayenne and love it. Soon to install it in the Bim. You can have tone only, voice, or mute with just lights. There is no power button so once you shut it off with the remote you can easily hide it if tagged in a "no radar" state, and you won't get a ticket.
Return the valentine, not that they are not good radar detectors, but if you have a nice car, as you do, don't cheap out and get one that clutters your car's interior.
Sample with short vid clip here
http://web.mac.com/kooser/iWeb/Kooser's Car Gallery/K-40 Calibre Bluetooth Radar.html
To just add a testament to the worth and value of a v1, on the way back from Angiefest this past weekend in Atlanta FTWeisse and I were driving along in traffic and not only did I continually get notifications of Ka bands that he didn't get, but I also go notifications a few seconds before him when he did get them. Also, we were driving along I-75 cruising at about 95 and the Laser went off of the v1 so I slowed down (obviously) and the laser went off on his k-40 as well, he got clocked at going 96/97 in a 70. Needless to say, he said that one of his next purchases will be a Valentine. It isn't a coincidence that most of the users on the forum use the v1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts