E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just got four new tires mounted and balanced at NTB. While I was watching, the mechanic demonstrated a vertical bar on the front passenger side that had a bit of play in it. He told me that it was the stabilizer link. I am assuming that this is this part on Realoem?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EW53&mospid=47726&btnr=31_0405&hg=31&fg=10

05 Swing support, front, right 1 31356751080 $44.83

I want to be sure that is the part, because then NTB quoted me for a replacement:

Item Number: XPFE
Description: RF STABILIZER LINK
Price: $135.37

With labor the estimate comes to $230.97!! Does anyone have a good picture of the right front stabilizer link, preferably from under the car?

Also, from a few DIYs I've seen, it seems that this piece can be completely accesed without lifting the car by turning the wheel all the way. Can it be removed/replaced without lifting the car as well? I'm still a bit gunshy about working under my car...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
392 Posts
yes it is commonly called the sway bar end link althought it's technical name is stabilzer link. That price is way overstated! go to http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Number/Sway-Bar-End-Link-Right-Front-__31356751080_LEM_2CB14693.aspx
I found it for your car there for 34.61. As for lifiting, you need to jack up and support the car on whatever side youre going to be working on and remove the wheel. You do not need to crawl under it though if thats what you're worried about. All the work you need to do can be done by just sitting there working inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid of that... Thanks lejeunebimmer! Also, do I need to replace the driver side one as well to match up, or is that not necessary?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'd replace both sides and another KEY point. You must jack up both sides on front to remove and replace link. Otherwise the stabilizer bar is loaded and you'll struggle like crazy to remove. Jacking both sides removes any loading and then it is EASY to remove and replace. Simple DIY!!! You should be able to buy both sides for around $80 total and installation is about 20 minutes/side.... Go fo it!

·
Registered
617 Posts
found some pics i took of the stabilizer end-link. Mine is an 04 330Xi, so it should look familiar.....

hope this helps!

·
Registered
617 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Its a slightly different install on an xi- if you don't have air tools, you will need to hold the center bolt with a torx head bit while you spin the nut off. I think the RWDers can use a thin wrench behind the nut, but I don't think that works on xi's.

I have definitely undone the sway bar link with only one wheel off the ground and have always been able to reattached it successfully. Haven't considered preload though.

I say order them up and have a go. Don't just use the factory jack though. I got mine from pelicanparts.com.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd replace both sides and another KEY point. You must jack up both sides on front to remove and replace link. Otherwise the stabilizer bar is loaded and you'll struggle like crazy to remove. Jacking both sides removes any loading and then it is EASY to remove and replace. Simple DIY!!! You should be able to buy both sides for around $80 total and installation is about 20 minutes/side.... Go fo it!
No need to jack both sides of the car, I changed a single side in like 15 mins with only the one wheel off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts