BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can't seem to find an answer to this: what does GTO stand for on these mirrors?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
GTO = Integrated remote
control/garage door opener

Mirrors with GTO feature will have 3 black buttons on the bottom of the mirror.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can SOS mirror be swapped to E90 mirror w compass

Enjoy!

You now have the $3,350 E90 BMW Premium Package in your car!

-wow! nice set of instructions. I am new to BMW, and bought a used one that needs a new mirror.

2004 325i-

the mirror is big clown nose with SOS.

I don't care much about the SOS feature, but I would like to have a compass & return to currently missing auto dim.......(and BLUE Tooth if at all possible-but not a deal breaker).

I have located various models of the mirrors programmed to offer the compass, auto dim.........but everything seems vague about whether an SOS mirror to --> E90 mirror is compatible with the wires/plugs

thanks for any information to anyone (this is my first post :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, Im new to the forum and I am looking to add a new rearview mirror to my car. Currently I have a regular mirror - no homelink, no autodimming, but I do have the clown nose. I want to replace it with the one that has homelink and is autodimming with clown nose. From reading this thread, it looks like a pretty simply plug in. I am just wondering if I have the connector to plug in the mirror, does anyone know?

My car is a 2004 BMW 330i zhp sedan. It does have the rain sensor.

Many thanks. Bonus points if you know the part number of the mirror I need. Im still trying to figure that out. OEMparts.com doesn't list the mirror I want (no GTO)

I "think" the p/n I am looking for is: Part 51167028444 (Rearview mirror EC / LED / GTO) but it is listed on OEMparts as E39 mirror...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the wire harness and I have the mirror. The car side of the connector seems to be missing pins 1-3 and the wire harness comes with 3 pins. The question is: where does the other end of the harness connect?

Also, I don't know if the new mirror has the SOS stuff, so maybe I should just clip wires 4-7?

Thanks guys, I know this is supposed to be easy...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
subbed

i want to do this too because of the compass feature, anyone can PM or tell me what donor car i need to look out for? my car has an SOS too so do i removed 4-7 pin when i buy a new mirror?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Delmarco, thanks for the great write up. I just noticed in another thread that you have double Homelink now, that's kinda funny.

I have an addition to this DIY that has both advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately I have no pics, sorry. Some of the mirrors on late 90's early 00's Land Rover Discovery's are exactly the same as in our cars with the exception of the mounting bracket. Even the wiring connector is the same. I bought one with Homelink, a compass, and NO CLOWNNOSE :) off ebay for $90 shipped. The one problem with this mirror is the compass is green. When shopping I paid careful attention to the markings on the back of the mirror, compared to the markings on my mirror, and made sure I had a picture of the wiring harness so I knew I was getting what I wanted.

To install, I followed this DIY for removal of my old mirror. I then placed the mirror facedown on a soft surface (carpet) and held the mirror with one hand while gently but firmly leaning on the mounting bracket until it popped out of the mirror. To get the wires out, you will have to remove them one by one from the wiring connector. The Disco mirror will be the same, although much fewer wires. Make sure you draw yourself a map of what wire goes to what pin placement in the connector. Once you have everything apart, assemble the Disco mirror to the BMW bracket, and install in the car per the rest of this thread.

Hopefully someone who does this can take some pics, sorry again about the lack of them on my part.
I'm interested in this......because if what he said is correct. The discovery mirror is the same shape and goes for $40 with compass and auto dim. If you can get past the green letters.
He did have to take the connector off to get the mirrors mounting bracket removed. I wonder if the wiring goes to the same stuff as the typical bmw mirror.

I am also curious how to get the temp sensor to work.

This is a link for possible wiring pins from a bmw guy asking a land rover guy about all of this
I'm using it for reference and don't think it holds all the Info I'm looking for.
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/24429-homelink-mirror-wiring.html

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/noob-needs-help-compass-mirror-wiring-please-56162/

Typical e46 upgrade....compass and home link with clown nose
-

Land Rover mirror
-

-

land rover mirror-

The information described here applies to bmw as well. It is a good write up on how to test the mirror auto dimmer.
What the 3 wires do.
Where the compass circuit board is. I suggest you read it

-

-

As said above.
The circuit board is in the neck of the mirror. It shows above that someone used the bmw neck and took the land rover neck off. The bmw neck doesn't have to board for the compass.
Does it need to be retrofitted with the bmw neck on the Land Rover mirror? Yes. The bmw neck needs to be fitted to the Land Rover mirror to work. The Land Rover mounting brack WILL NOT FIT.

However. The Range Rover mirror is DIRECT fit. It has the compass and homelink.
the cost is less, but it also has the clown nose. Which I would like to be rid of.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
^^ i did this mod but im having problem with BMW assist showing up from time to time.. anyone know how to disable it?

my old mirror has an SOS + autodim and i replace it with autodim+Homelink + COmpass

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
U did it with the Land Rover mirror?
Did the plug end pin outs match up to power the mirror functions properly.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
id like to see if I can get the rover mirror to work.
With these mirrors being stand alone and. To hooked into the ca in any way. You could put all these options in any car on the road.

The rover mirror with 3 wires
Power
Ground
Power to revers so the mirror doesn't dim in reverse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed a mirror off of an 06 328i on my 2002 e46 m3 today. WAS all fine and dandy until I get out to lock my car, my key isn't working? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
BUYERS BEWARE - looks like i fried my mirror or its not working (AUTODIM) in the first place when bought since i never took the car out at night until last night..

my car has an SOS and ive google a few thread that if it car has an SOS, it will fry the mirror when you plug it in and now autodim does not work..

looks like i have to disconnect pins 4-7 when i get another replacement.. mirror still works great (compass and homelink) but no autodim lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Took off my mirror cover today on my 2000 323iT and only found 2 wires going from the harness to my mirror. I currently have a featureless mirror (nothing - but does have a clown nose)

So, I'm guessing I'm only prewired for the alarm?

If I want to install a mirror with homelink and compass, I probably need to splice into a power source/ground for each of those features, right? Anyone have details on a wiring diagram? And, will I need a harness to use, since my existing connector probably doesn't have the pins I need, right?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think there is a retrofit harness you can buy from bmw. See post #4 and 9

There are 3 mirrors you can go with
The mirror the op used......has the home link buttons...... The black cut out for the compass.....the large clown nose

A newer mirror.....low profile clown nose.....home link buttons......hidden compass with no black cut out.

Land Rover......3 wire mirror. Easy to retrofit onto any automobile.
Green letters......no clown nose.....compass with black cutout. Have to put your bmw neck on it.
Links are above.

I don't know if retrofit harness will work for you.
Post a pic of how it's plugged in.

Bmw planet for wiring diagrams

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
So far so good on my install.
I went with a bmw mirror from 2010
It has the same 9 pin connector on the new mirror as the old mirror and the same color wires.

Like del Marco said above. It was plug in and done.
It took a while to learn the area for the compass. I have not set it yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to replace the mirror in my, new to me, 330Ci coupe. It had turned brown with a large bubble. Found a replacement on Ebay.
Plugged it in and programmed the Homelink.
Worked great :clap:
Then I noticed the mirror was dark blue-
Read further in the thread-
My old mirror was SOS :ben:

Should I assume it is toast?
Even with no power connected sitting on the bench overnight it stays blue.
I cut the 4-7 wires reinstalled the mirror - the homelink still works fine but glass stays blue.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts