E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 - While driving in Sport-mode. If in Drive, unit is even more visable. Unit is backlit with indiglo for night use.

Attachments

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
Any info on this unit? Cost? How you hardwired it? Does it show actual tire pressure, or when pressure is low?
P.S. Clean install:thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Russ

For more info on this unit, click on the link above (with the first picture). That thread also has a link to SmartTire's product demonstration page, and tells you all about its features. It's pretty cool!

Install? I cut out slots (top/bottom) in the ashtray to slide the display unit in, and cut out a hole in the back of the ashtray to accomodate the data cable (from main unit); routed the data cable thru the back of the ashtray compartment (behind the hing for the swivel door); and spliced the wiring together.
russ330 said:
Any info on this unit? Cost? How you hardwired it? Does it show actual tire pressure, or when pressure is low?
P.S. Clean install:thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
looks awesome!! this might be a dumb (and def. OT) question, but what is that button where ur heated seats and such are, that looks like this- (!) ?? what model and year do you drive? thx

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Sims

Thanks for the compliment! That button's for the optional flat tire monitor for 323-330s. The next button is for the optional rear sun shade. My ride is a 330ci.
simsima325 said:
looks awesome!! this might be a dumb (and def. OT) question, but what is that button where ur heated seats and such are, that looks like this- (!) ?? what model and year do you drive? thx

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
so the SmartTire moniter just plugged into the existing, factory flat tire moniter? very cool.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Sims

Not exactly. I was hoping to work it this way, but the flat monitor is programmed into the chip inside the button panel. I'm a bit challenged when it comes to electronics, so I just tapped into a switched power source. Besides, I think the SmartTire system is much better than the BMW one.
simsima325 said:
so the SmartTire moniter just plugged into the existing, factory flat tire moniter? very cool.... :thumbup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you had a flat tire monitor before...why would you add a new one?

Also does this work with low pro tires?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Re: CF

My car didn't come with the sensors originally. From what I've heard, the BMW option goes off all the time. I guess from hard cornering or agressive driving. It sounds like a pain to reset it too. This system allows you to set high/low alarms for both PSI and temperature. The factory option doesn't show you the pressure or temp either. It just goes off. This one also lets you toggle thru the tires. For instance, if I hit a curb with my right rear, I can toggle to this tire to watch the PSI reading for a sign of leakage.

As for low profiles, I don't think it matters. The wireless sensor that straps to the rim is an inch or less high, so it should fit no problem. The install guide has you place it several inches from the valve stem, in the channel of the rim.(Click to see)

CSHFLW said:
If you had a flat tire monitor before...why would you add a new one?

Also does this work with low pro tires?

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
How much does it cost to hook up the bmw monitor? Anybody? I was wondering about getting the bmw monitor.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Re: DV

The switch panel will run approximately $230. No additional wiring harness is necessary. Simply unplug the old panel and plug in the new one. I don't know how much the actual tire sensors are though. I took my SmartTire sensors to GoodYear, and they installed them for $82.
Double Vanos said:
How much does it cost to hook up the bmw monitor? Anybody? I was wondering about getting the bmw monitor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts