E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What tires!!?!?!

• Matching F&R: Hankook Ventus V-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matching F&R: Other brand not listed on Tirerack???

• Non-matching F&R: Diff brands F&R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a set of Style 264's off a 135i for a summer set.

They are:

18x7.5 +49
18x8.5 +52

I'm sitting on H&R street coil-overs

Going to use my four 18mm spacers I have on each corner to push things out flush...

Will definitely post pics and everything b/c it's been tough to find anything besides a thread from Flatman.

I'm having trouble selecting tires... OEM sizes are:

215/40/18 options from Tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...e&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

245/35/18 options from Tirerack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...e&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&RunFlat=All

:read:
Problem is... not many options for matching brands front and rear. Really only Hankook Ventus and Yokohama S.drive I'm willing to purchase... If I went with different brands for front and back, might be able to save some money and get more options... :banghead:

Matched set options from Tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...35&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=53950&tab=All

I want to go with a summer performance tire, but I just simply don't have the cash to drop on PS2's which would be my first choice.

My priorities are:

1. Both dry & wet performance
2. Road noise
3. Treadwear/longevity
4. Price
5. NOT runflats

Not necessarily in that order. All are pretty much equally important.

I think I have a little bit of flexibility in the tire sizes, but very little considering I cannot have rubbing and I'm sure 18mm spacers will work with OEM tires.

I've looked at TireRack and come up with some options for MATCHING set to OEM size, which I listed in the poll. But I'm totally open to suggestions outside of these.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Personally I would probably go with the S. Drives. I have never owned a set (Pirelli, Bridgestone, General were my last three sets) but my dad is possibly the best spokesperson for Yokohama, he has had great experiences with them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not yet, was waiting for weather to warm up a bit

will be ordering tires soon, most likely going with Hankook V12's

I'll definitely post up some pics when all is said & done

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eh ... i like csl's but 19's are just too big/heavy/harsh for a daily-driver, and everybody and their mom has CSL reps :/

the roads around here are pretty sh1tty and 19's+coilovers are just not practical

besides, I like the OEM-yet-slightly-modded look, and I like star-spoke wheels, and I picked these up in 99% perfect condition for cheap, and it would definitely be a unique look that I've never seen in person

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
changed my mind ...

now considering:

Sumitomo HTR-Z III
and
General Exclaim UHP

Both in slightly different sizes than the OEM spec...

215/40/18 F
245/40/18 R

I really don't envision going with a 40 height over 35 in the rear is going to make a difference...

Leaning towards the Sumitomo's based on price and reviews, but obviously the Exclaims get great treadwear and are one of the lightest tires out there... Tough decision

·
Registered
94 Posts
I ordered the Sumitomo's this weekend. I did alot of searching around, reading reviews and tests, and they caught my eye as the best performing tire for the $. They went up against some pretty expensive high performance tires in the tire rack test, and came out near the top. Havent put them on yet, but based just on the reviews it seems like they perform MUCH better than the generals. They are in a different performance class as well. My summation of the reviews and tests i read about on those two tires are: .. it seems if you are looking for a cheaper, everyday daily driver tire with good treadlife, and dont necessarily need a high performance tire then go with the generals. If you are looking for something that will perform VERY well and has slightly less treadlife then go with the Sumitomos. I cant wait to get mine on and test them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.