BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is by far the best XM receiver (and XM is definitely better than Sirius, who will probably be gone within a few years). Saw this mounting idea at CES, just wanted to share.

They also make a set of speakers and antenna unit which you can pop the SkyFi into and have XM with you outside of the car. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
SIRIUS

I bought that unit and i liked it, but then i did some research on both XM and Sirius. I found out that Sirius is better in several different ways, Sirius has 3 satellites in orbit Xm only has one, Sirius is commercial free, XM has commercials, Sirius has more air space compared to XM. You can also access Sirius on the net and listen if you are a subscriber, therefore you would'nt need to purchase a home kit to listen there are ways to run your pc throgh your home entertainment. So i returned that unit and and got a Sirius instead. Don't get me wrong thats a sick unit but I think Sirius will provide a better service in the long run. Most of the car audio places recomended Sirius. Anyway thats my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
XM Versus Sirus (Long)

Hey Guys, I just wanted to point out the reason I went with the XM unit instead of Sirus. I think each user will have to do like Bimmin and research before they make a decision. I am in no way saying one is better than the other, since they both have their pro's and con's.

The most important point for me was the SkyFi unit itself. At this time, no one has anything like it. If it would have been Sirus instead of XM it would not have mattered to me because the unit was what I was interested in. This concept is great. You have one receiver which you can now use in the car or home or wherever and pay only one subscription. Why only listen to it in the car when you can take it in the house and hook it to the stereo for parties, etc. I even hook it to the pc and rip mp3's for friends and burn cd's for 80 minutes of non stop music. They even have a boom box out now for $100 that let's you take it anywhere you want:

That said, I too researched both previously because I was going to buy one of the other trunk mount units before the SkyFi came out. This is what I concluded and is strictly my opinion:

The Sirus does sound like a better service but it's more expensive monthly than XM. Their future has been uncertain and still is. They don't have commercials now (XM did not either in the beginning) but that does not guarantee they won't in the future, to stay afloat. XM's commercials are only on certain channels, not all, and the ones they are on last about 30 seconds to 1 minute, once every 2 hours or so. XM has 2 satellites in orbit as well as ground repeaters all over for continuous reception. The pro's and con's between the two where not enough to keep me from subscribing from one or the other, the hardware is what helped me decide.

The bottom line is that each user will have to research both companies, check the channels that are offered by each and choose one that best fits their needs. In my case, the choice was dictated by the hardware, not the service. That may be the biggest factor for some users, like it was for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is a little off the subject, but i cant wait until they come out with a portable walkman type satellite radio device. I hope thats just around the corner.

·
hammer talks like this
4,206 Posts
when XM started they only had commercials on talk shows not on music channels... i dont know if thats changed currently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know for sure now that you mention it. I have heard commercials on the comedy channel which I listen to quite often.

Some of the music channels I listened to and ripped mp3's from only had an identifier saying it was XM, no commercials.

I will have to pay more attention and get back to you. :pimpin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts