E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Can anyone let me know of what performance mods they know of for the 330D 205bhp model. remap is catered for already. Just want to know about things like the IC's and turbo upgrades, if their are any air filter systems and so on. My own searches haven't come up with much so I thought I'd ask away.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you've got one of these 330d's and they are good for around 260 bhp with re mapping as I'm sure you've discovered then ensure first that your cars up to strength, firstly see that everything fuel wise is in order for instance primary fuel pump under the passenger seat are a known weak point its not that hard to change but it'll give grief if its under par but a good diagnostic check from a dealer or a good indy will ensure alls well another simple telltale sign is the car taing a litle longer than normal to crank over(though this can also be a crank position sensor too)

Check that all injectors are working correctly given as near as possible even fuel flow you can place undue stress on the fuel system when re mapping due to the fact that a little more will be required of it though not as much as you'd think as Diesel works differently to Petrol in terms of whats required to achieve higher power outputs essentially the combustion system is different and you don't ave to chuck loads of fuel in to get the power which is sometimes why after a re amp people and I'm included is this notice a slight improvement in fuel consumption many tuning boxes are a lot more crude in their execution and over fuel and this with a Diesel can lead to various problems wit the injectors as we ll as bore wash in later life.

Also have a good look at things like vacuum pipes often over looked but can cause various issues re performance from a flat power delivery to a hesitation but again easy to check enure that none of them are split or are suffering a bit they are a fit fiddly to replace but are cheap to buy and can transform a car due to the very important role they play in making a Turbo Charged car run correctly. The breather is also a worth while thing to change as it an prolong the Turbo life

Bizarrely checking all this can reap some real benefits but quite a few company's may as the customers requested it re map a car without ensuring that the rest of the package is up to the task. Sounds simple but the areas I've described above are often over looked.

But apart from that what else can be done. Well of late there's been some activity toward de-cating the exhaust and having a performance system attached to it. In terms of power you won' see mega figures but it will enable the Turbo to spin up quicker and will reduce back pressure meaning that the Turbo will have an easier life. There's also been movement towards EGR bypass valves but the issue here is that the ECU has been designed to run with the EGR valve functioning the jury's out on this one.

Bigger intercoolers have also been discussed many a time but on a Turbo Diesel due to the nature ofhow the fuels actually burnt although you get a lower charge alls not what it seems re this mod but its worth doing if you do it as apart of a package as it will take make the air going in to the inlet side a little more dense and that's got to help the combustion cycle even if it doesn't produce the results of a Petrol.

Bigger Turbo's are I'd say unless you've got one hell of a mapper on board not worth the money plus if you look in to it a little closer hardly anyone's going down this route.

Apart from this some recommend a performance air filter some say that in time it can/will effect your MAF and these are also worth checking as they can reduce the power you've got meaning once changed and programmed the car might well fly:woot:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts