E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm hesitant to believe any of these magic "plugs" that claim to increase horsepower. The aftermarket parts industry is filled with snake oil salesmen with bogus claims. This is my thought

Let's take a 2004 M3, 333 hp. 7% gain that they claim would equal 23.31 - In comparison, a set of Schrick cams claim a 15% increase to horsepower.

I am pretty confident that adding additional or "better" grounds would not make a difference in horsepower. It's not like you can get 120% of a good ground connection. And chances are if there is a ground problem, it'll blow a fuse.

But let's play devil's advocate though and consider the possibility that magic grounding straps could make a difference. Doesn't change the combustion process. Air moving into and out of the cylinders is pressure-based and would be unchanged. Compression would be unchanged as that is related to cams/crank/pistons. The only other thing that remains is the injectors. They're not going to put out "more" because they are getting good voltage. They will never be more efficient than they were at brand new. Even if better grounding could make a difference to the injectors, now you're talking about changing the air/fuel ratio and the car would probably run like crap.

Long story short, its a snake oil pitch.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
If a 7% horsepower increase could have been obtained by better grounding, the BMW engineers would have made sure the car didn't have a grounding problem.

Grounding kits have their applications... power gain is not one of them.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
BS, looks to me like an added parasitic drain and nothing more. Keep your grounds that exist clean.
/thread.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm hesitant to believe any of these magic "plugs" that claim to increase horsepower. The aftermarket parts industry is filled with snake oil salesmen with bogus claims. This is my thought

Let's take a 2004 M3, 333 hp. 7% gain that they claim would equal 23.31 - In comparison, a set of Schrick cams claim a 15% increase to horsepower.

I am pretty confident that adding additional or "better" grounds would not make a difference in horsepower. It's not like you can get 120% of a good ground connection. And chances are if there is a ground problem, it'll blow a fuse.

But let's play devil's advocate though and consider the possibility that magic grounding straps could make a difference. Doesn't change the combustion process. Air moving into and out of the cylinders is pressure-based and would be unchanged. Compression would be unchanged as that is related to cams/crank/pistons. The only other thing that remains is the injectors. They're not going to put out "more" because they are getting good voltage. They will never be more efficient than they were at brand new. Even if better grounding could make a difference to the injectors, now you're talking about changing the air/fuel ratio and the car would probably run like crap.

Long story short, its a snake oil pitch.
If a 7% horsepower increase could have been obtained by better grounding, the BMW engineers would have made sure the car didn't have a grounding problem.

Grounding kits have their applications... power gain is not one of them.
BS, looks to me like an added parasitic drain and nothing more. Keep your grounds that exist clean.
/thread.
Thanks dudes! u kept me from being a sucker!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts