BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to find replacements for my factory-equipped Continental ContiTouring Contacts. As my car is an all-year daily driver, I thought it would make sense to go with a nice performance all-season tire rather than a summer tire. Unfortunately, when shopping around in this category, the selection isn't as easy as 1, 2, S-03. There appear to be two price ranges, some tires are around the $100 range, some at the $200 level. I'm willing to drop the $200, provided that it's worth it. The tires I'm looking at right now are the following:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z
Continental ContiExtreme Contact
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
Pirelli PZero Nero M+S

The tire size I'm looking at is 225/45/17 (which is fine for a 17x7.0 wheel, correct?). I've heard good things about the Turanza and the Pilot Sport A/S, which are the more expensive tires. The Contis and the PZeros are newer and so people have less direct or long-term experience with them, they're also the lesser-priced of the 4. My driving conditions range from warm, dry and sunny to light-to-medium snow up near Lake Tahoe. My question is, does anyone know anything that would help narrow my search? Random things like "tire X sucks in the snow" or "tire Y has longevity issues" would also really help. And Gary, if you or your colleagues know a bit more about this, I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had the Contiextreme's for a short time, they handle pretty well ( better then the Contitourings), they provided nice feedback while compared to the contitourings which are numb and overall I really liked them.

The reason I no longer have them is I had a flatspotting problem which seems to be a common with this tire.

BTW just so you know, they are 3 lbs. heavier then the Contitouring and this is for a 225/45/17

I ended up getting a set of Contitourings to replace them since these are what I use for winter time only and performance was not as important as snow capabilities are.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice AF330i. I've also heard the Pirellis are good but suffer in some rare cases from a sidewall blowout problem. Any more insight, anyone?

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,654 Posts
i've been trying to decide b/w the Pirelli M&S' ContiExtremes myself, but recently i've been leaning towards Sumi HTR+, simply b/c of the $ difference

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey was just wondering how the Pirellis P7000 235/40 on 18s perform in winter. It should be ok in light snow right? Thanks!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read that the P7000s are just that, ok, in light snow. Pirelli designed it for more dry than snow traction, though, so medium to heavy snow will bog the P7000s down.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Skip the Sumi HTR+.

They're unbelievably soft, and I've already bent a rim with them on (which isn't often).

Add Bridgestone RE950s to your list as well. (In 215/45, which is a better size for a 7" wheel, anyway.) They're all seasons with summer tire sidewalls.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Allrighty, RE950s taken into consideration. Should I be concerned about the difference in diameter between 225/45 and 215/45?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the difference. I was well pleased with my RE950s, although autoxing was not their forte.

I hear good things about the PZero M+S but haven't driven on them, and the PS A/S is the best all season I've ever driven on, but at a price that is positively ludicrous.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,654 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Skip the Sumi HTR+.

They're unbelievably soft, and I've already bent a rim with them on (which isn't often).

Add Bridgestone RE950s to your list as well. (In 215/45, which is a better size for a 7" wheel, anyway.) They're all seasons with summer tire sidewalls.

do you know anything about how the RE950's handle in the snow?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
kidsdoc said:

do you know anything about how the RE950's handle in the snow?
They're OK, but not great. Ditto for the Sumis.

Just for reference, I think the ContiTourings were also OK in the snow. You're not getting an improvement in snow traction with the RE950s, but they drive like slightly soft summer tires and they've got excellent wet traction.

For a further data point, S-03s are ****ing scary in the snow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts