E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well had a nice series of events happen.

First, this came in the mail a couple weeks ago:

Sweet! Entire cooling system overhaul parts. But I had school until yesterday, noticed my heat was going in and out on the way home yesterday.. hmmm. Then today, this happened:

:censor::banghead:

Luckily, it waited to die until I was at least near home and not on my 3 hour drive home. Pulled out of a store and noticed the temp gauge just starting to creep past 1/2. After reading all the damn threads about cooling systems on here and having dmax and Mango's words stuck in my head, I turned her off and pulled over immediately.

Anyways, I am guessing the T-stat got stuck closed, which would explain my intermittent heat and why there was no coolant on the ground. Also, CEL popped on when i put the key in. So I guess the whole point of this is that I now have to do the cooling system :woot: . Any good advice or tips I should know? Also, when a flatbead towes your bimmer, where do they usually hook onto?

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Yeah do not let them hook into any suspension components. Thas what the tow hook is for. And which words of mine and dmax was in your head? I hope it wasn't any of Dmax's black-people jokes or the part where I said if I became mod, I'd ban everyone.

And thats the thing with cooling systems. always hits you when you least expect it. glad you guys are catching on!!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,660 Posts
Alright well had a nice series of events happen.

Luckily, it waited to die until I was at least near home and not on my 3 hour drive home. Pulled out of a store and noticed the temp gauge just starting to creep past 1/2. After reading all the damn threads about cooling systems on here and having dmax and Mango's words stuck in my head, I turned her off and pulled over immediately.
So, it sounds like I saved you about half the cost of an engine...maybe your e46, the least you could do is come to my comedy debut in NYC! :lmao: I'm not going to offend anyone this time...well, I mean I won't offend anyone this time that I offended last time. I'm going an entirely different place!

How beginning comedians just do over the same routine over and over until they get it funny, I don't understand!

·
Registered
128 Posts
OP, glad you decided to pull over and caught the temperature on time.

Obviously the cooling system overhaul is still highly recommended, but did you make sure your fan was switching on? (Implying you have an electric unit) If it happens to be a clutch fan you should do the fan clutch test, it's quick and effective.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
very interesting that some cars are very easy to overheat and some are not.
when the bleeder screw broke, the cooling system couldn't pressurize and I was loosing coolant as I drove.
didnt even overheat a single bit. lost about 2 gallons of coolant once I filled her up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, it sounds like I saved you about half the cost of an engine...maybe your e46, the least you could do is come to my comedy debut in NYC! :lmao: I'm not going to offend anyone this time...well, I mean I won't offend anyone this time that I offended last time. I'm going an entirely different place!

How beginning comedians just do over the same routine over and over until they get it funny, I don't understand!
Well, your words were a 'reinforcement'. My 900 actually had the T-stat stick closed a few months after I bought her, noticed the temp climbing a little later on that one (was about 100 degrees that day), but those B204 motors are bulletproof. Comedy show? I am going road tripping the next few weeks (not in the e46), so I wont really be around!

OP, glad you decided to pull over and caught the temperature on time.

Obviously the cooling system overhaul is still highly recommended, but did you make sure your fan was switching on? (Implying you have an electric unit) If it happens to be a clutch fan you should do the fan clutch test, it's quick and effective.

Keep us updated!
I actually did not even bother checking the fan at the time. Car is a 5 speed by the way, so no clutch fan. Once I saw the needle move toward 3/4, I shut her down and pulled right into a parking lot. Since I had towing service I wasn't even going to bother driving it. I did turn the key and saw my CEL, and the temp gauge sitting a tad passed 3/4.

I am going to just overhaul and work from there, I mean, I bought all the parts a month ago.

Yeah do not let them hook into any suspension components. Thas what the tow hook is for. And which words of mine and dmax was in your head? I hope it wasn't any of Dmax's black-people jokes or the part where I said if I became mod, I'd ban everyone.

And thats the thing with cooling systems. always hits you when you least expect it. glad you guys are catching on!!
Ugh, yeah sadly I was on the phone confirming service when the tow truck arrived. When I saw it hooked up, it was already getting winched on. I asked where he was hooked too, and he said the front control arms :banghead: . Going to get under the front end today to see if they bent at all. I would be pretty pissed, seeing how the entire suspension was overhauled before my purchase. In good news, he tied the rear down to the wheels in the back, and it seems the rear control arms are more of a failure point than the fronts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you look at your photo you'll see he is attached to the tow hook.
Lol, no, he had two big D hooks that he attached to each 'control arm', tow hook was and still is in the tool box. When I asked him where he had them connected, he said the "lower control arm, it is solid metal". Upon inspection today, I noticed the two big C bends on the tie rod's, at first I got freaked out thinking they were supposed to be straight, but after looking at diagrams and photos they are definitely supposed to have the bend.

When he was winching the car onto the flatbed, I noticed that the wheel was getting jerked, so that means he had to have been on my tie rods, right? :thumbdwn: Going to fully inspect the car later today when I get another person to help me with the jacks, but it seems as though I may need new tie rods, and at the least need an alignment.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Yikes. The control arms are aluminum. Not solid metal. What an idiot (the towtruck driver). Just looking at the color of the arms could tell you that. I'm not sure if tierods, steering rack are meant to take that kind of load.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yikes. The control arms are aluminum. Not solid metal. What an idiot (the towtruck driver). Just looking at the color of the arms could tell you that. I'm not sure if tierods, steering rack are meant to take that kind of load.
:facepalm: We will see if he truly was that stupid to hook onto the tierods, like I said, when I asked, he said control arms, we will see. After he dropped the car off, I drove it the 50 feet or so into my garage, and did not notice the steering was f'ed up. :(

Guess I will find out more tonight.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,660 Posts
I thought tow hook too, but I think he just used a short chain with two hooks...and hooked that onto the winch.

Outer tierod does have a bend in it, btw.

CAs are solid metal, but aluminum. They are very strong and themselves, probably could handle the weight of the car being pulled on them, but probably not the best thing for the bushings...and they can get bent too. Rookie! How could he not know there's a tow hook?

Anyway, you could be good, but still not a recommended practice, obviously.

GL!

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
I thought tow hook too, but I think he just used a short chain with two hooks...and hooked that onto the winch.

Outer tierod does have a bend in it, btw.

CAs are solid metal, but aluminum. They are very strong and themselves, probably could handle the weight of the car being pulled on them, but probably not the best thing for the bushings...and they can get bent too. Rookie! How could he not know there's a tow hook?

Anyway, you could be good, but still not a recommended practice, obviously.

GL!
Well yes aluminum would be a metal, but in the context of the tow truck driver, he meant steel , i'm sure. at any rate i highly doubt the balljoints are meant to take that kind of lateral loading. I'd cringe. i'm pretty sure bmw recommends against towing from any suspension components. cant remember if i saw that in the manual...

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,660 Posts
Damn...foiled again!

OP, I think you should call towing company and report this.

I know another Fanatic, who's with a towing company, once reported that whenever they tow a car, they also get instructions sent to them for specific instructions for each car.

If your control arms show any sign of wear, call them on it. You can test for balljoint play by gripping each balljoint with a monster channel lock plier from top and bottom and feeling for play...of course, with car off the ground. Maybe you can get them to contribute to your fund for your next diy.

Also, search for scratches on the lower part of the bumper.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Damn...foiled again!

OP, I think you should call towing company and report this.

I know another Fanatic, who's with a towing company, once reported that whenever they tow a car, they also get instructions sent to them for specific instructions for each car.

If your control arms show any sign of wear, call them on it. You can test for balljoint play by gripping each balljoint with a monster channel lock plier from top and bottom and feeling for play...of course, with car off the ground. Maybe you can get them to contribute to your fund for your next diy.

Also, search for scratches on the lower part of the bumper.
Yes! Any information you need, D. I'm ready to look it up! :read:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.