BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,
I recently purchased a set of 19" wheels for my 2001 BMW 330Ci Convertible with sport suspension, and have had some serious rubbing issues in the rear (details below) :banghead:. They are 19x8.5 with +35 offset in the front and 19x9.5 with +38 offset in the rear. I am currently running Kuhmo Ecsta SPT 235/35/19 tires in the front and 255/30/19 in the rear.

After having my fenders rolled, the problem persisted. I have been suggested by a few that have seen the car that the offset was too "aggressive". The wheel company has offered to re-manufacturer rears for me with +41 offset instead, in an effort to alleviate/solve the problem. ;) The most frequent rubbing appear to be on the highway when the road "dips down" and then back up, as well as going around turns that are uneven, and anytime there is more than 15lbs of weight in the trunk.

How much will this help? Is there a more "perfect" rear offset - I did notice that VMR rears (on both the the V715 - similar design to my wheels, and the CSL reps) have a +45, but then I've seen other posts suggesting +45 can be too much, and require spacers?

Additionally, some have suggested my shocks/springs may be worn (77k miles) and that may be the cause of it, though I had a shop look at my shocks/springs very recently and tell me that they are fine and changing them (was thinking Koni Yellows and H&R Sport springs) would not really help my situation.

Any insight/thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
go with a narrower tire in the back... try a 245/40 and roll your fenders... should fit fine.

im running 18x10s at ET38 on my sedan with 255/35... and rolled fenders, barely any rub, only with 4 people on hard turns. and i think it rubs inside more than outside.
coupes have more room too, so u can def run these. DO NOT MACHINE your wheels.
a lil fender rolling and tire stretching they will fit perfectly.
yes, im lowered too.

additionally, when my rtabs were shot, i rubbed pretty bad with 18x8.5 et38 before with 255/35 tires. then ones i changed them and got an alignment, it never rubbed.
so if your suspension alignment, particularly the toe is way off, u will rub. i suspect if you fix that, most if not all the rubbing should go away... then the fender roll shoul dfix the rest.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
OP:

2003 330Ci Coupe here. I'm running BBS CH 19x8.5 35 offest 235/35 fronts and 19x9.5 38 offset 245/35 rears. I have zero problems with tire/fender interference. Also, I'm running PS2s and H&R springs with Bilstein Sport struts/shocks.

Your problem is the 255 rear tire you're running. It's too wide. The fender lip clearance with my 245 rears is less than 2mm, maybe a bit less.

Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses so far. It seems the narrower tire suggestion is popular, but I am concerned that it won't be much help, and here is why:

My wheels (which may be unique) have a lip that sort of goes beyond the tire, which is the source for a bit of the rubbing (please see pictures below of the evident abrasion). Because the lip actually sticks out further than the tire, I'm not sure a narrower tire would help.

Again, I appreciate all of the advice so far..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
the 255 tire is not the problem.

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
Thank you for the responses so far. It seems the narrower tire suggestion is popular, but I am concerned that it won't be much help, and here is why:

My wheels (which may be unique) have a lip that sort of goes beyond the tire, which is the source for a bit of the rubbing (please see pictures below of the evident abrasion). Because the lip actually sticks out further than the tire, I'm not sure a narrower tire would help.

Again, I appreciate all of the advice so far..
picture angles are not good, they dont show the relationship of the fender with the tire.
trust me dude. u can put 245s on and hope that solves it, but with a could, u should be able to run a 265 on a 9.5 depending on offset.

i dont care how unique ur rims are, im running the same offset with the same size tire on a narrower sedan with a wider rim. its not the tire.

sometimes different tires are more square than others.
what brand tire is it?

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
im running a 10" with a 38 offset. I use a 245 not a 255 so that may be your problem

edit: i am rolled but your wheel is half an inch less wide with the same offset so it should still clear

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the feedback -- just to highlight some points from my original post -- I have Kumho Ecsta SPT tires, and I have already rolled the fenders.

Attached are some additional pictures as I try to search for some more helpful angles ...

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have your same set up. I use 45 on the rear and no rubbing. a little more rim is sticking out than I would like, but it's fine.

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
Thanks again for the feedback -- just to highlight some points from my original post -- I have Kumho Ecsta SPT tires, and I have already rolled the fenders.

Attached are some additional pictures as I try to search for some more helpful angles ...
if u have a coupe, and fenders rolled, and rub with 255s i swear to u. youre toe is off.
and my car sites lower than yours, and coupes have a lil more room.
trust me dude.

·
Premium Member
20,930 Posts
^ I really don't think 2mm more poke with a tire 10mm narrower is the issue. Its exactly what I told him and what u said. Rtabs are shot and toe setting is jacked up. I'd put money on it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
lower your car. the added negative camber might help. dont do outrageous camber though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts