E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Excuse me for being a total newbie, but I recently got my first car, an e46 325i in Topaz Blue. Beautiful car, engine runs smooth, no SES signs. However, I knew I needed to put some work into it. I'm new to DIY also so I had an indy shop bleed the brakes and change the brake line, change the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

Now, my AC doesn't seem to work. It blows warm/hot and its getting hot out, so I'd like to have a cold car. I took it to Pep Boys to diagnose (they had a coupon for a free AC check) and they told me I needed a new compressor. Bought the compressor on eBay, took it to the same local shop and they told me its not the compressor, it's the evaporator temperature sensor/switch. He seemd kind of unsure which is why I'm posting here.

Anything I should look at to eliminate other possible causes for my AC not to be running? When I press the AC button, the light glows. The temperature on the dashboard is accurate, so I don't think it can be the ambient temperature sensor. I really need some help guys. I don't want to pay them an exorbitant amount of money for them to rip through the center console and dashboard if it's an easy fix.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Does the outside temp sensor work properly??

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I remember about 10 years ago when a BMW service department told me I needed a new AC compressor.

Instead, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a $6 can on refrigerant and charged the system with it. Problem solved.

podman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.