E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you guys have to have your VIN info on your ECU reset at the dealer after ESS put their software on it? If so, is the car driveable without doing this? I mena, once I have the ECU back, can I drive my car to the dealer to have them do what they need to do? Or do I have to have it towed?

Thanks,
Chip-

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
You need to have it reset before you can drive the car.

From www.my330i.com

The moment of truth came when I had the car towed to BMW to have the new DME aligned to the security system (a necessary step). ESS used to pull the VIN/security info off the DMEs and move it to the new programming. Since the 3-series models, even identical twins, can carry different releases of software, ESS designed new programming (v1.03) that is compatible with every type. In the process, however, this wipes the DME of individual chassis and VIN information. My BMW dealership used their MoDiC unit to align the new DME to the existing security information in the car. We turned the ignition key, and VROOOM!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, that's what I thought. It must be new with the newer software.

Thanks,
Chip-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts