BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just recently purchased a Peake Tool from Bimmertools this weekend, and today I finally got a chance to put it to good use. I had previously purchased it to shut off my check engine light that came on after the upper intake tube on my K&N filter came disconnected from the lower intake tube that connects to the throttle body. After reconnecting the tubes, a day before my Peake tool came, my check engine light turned itself off. I decided to use it anyways, just to check how the engine was doing. Sure enough, I got a ton of codes even though my check engine light is off! Help me out please:

2747- misfire detection cyl.
2743- misfire detection cyl. 3
2744- misfire detection cyl. 4
29AE- tank ventilation system major leak
20 - idle control valve stuck mechanically
(I am forgetting a few, but I will check again tomorrow to list the rest)

Ahh, how serious do you think these are guys? Also, I recently changed my spark plugs, do you think that has to do with the misfire issue? Let me know if you guys have any suggestions/input, thanks:cry:

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,891 Posts
First, thanks for giving us your business- I really appreciate it!

Because your light has been on and off, some of these codes may no longer be applicable. Clear them, then drive as normal. If the light comes back on, read them again.

Once you know what is active, you can begin to determine the next proper step in diagnosis and repair.

Good luck, and thanks again.

Ken

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
First, thanks for giving us your business- I really appreciate it!

Because your light has been on and off, some of these codes may no longer be applicable. Clear them, then drive as normal. If the light comes back on, read them again.

Once you know what is active, you can begin to determine the next proper step in diagnosis and repair.

Good luck, and thanks again.

Ken
+1

OP, your codes sound very indicative of a vacuum leak in your intake system, and your EVAP system. Visual inspection of your intake boots, hoses, EVAP hoses will help, but having a smoke-test done will definitely find any leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem, I love Bimmertools! Customer for life! Also, could you elaborate on the "vacuum leak in your intake system and your EVAP system", sorry, I'm lost on the EVAP part. Also, I will clear the codes tomorrow, it's been a pretty hectic weekend and I haven't gotten a chance to drive the car at all. I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, here's an update:
I scanned the car again today, and here are the following codes that were reported:
2974 - Precat 02 sensor wires/lines, Bank 2
29AE- Tank flap
2744 - misfire cyl. 3
2746 - misfire cyl. 2
2747- misfire cyl. 4
274E - misfire on several cylinders
2743 - misfire cyl. 5
28A2 - air path
2745 - misfire cyl. 6

Wow, so seems like I'm running on cylinder 1? Ahah, and note, my check engine light is NOT on. Anyways, I reset the codes, and I drove to the gas station a couple miles away to fill up, and when I came back I ran the scanner again and came up with no codes, but I will continue to check daily for the next week or two. What do you guys think? Keep in mind my previous situation (the whole air intake issue a couple weeks ago, see first post, and the spark plug replacement). Any input would again be greatly appreciated!

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,891 Posts
Well, my immediate guessing would be that whatever is leaking is causing the misfires, so they're most likely symptoms and not problems. The idle control valve can be cleaned - there have been several DIY write ups here. The pre-cat O2 sensors and wires are clearly visible for inspection and "jiggling" to make sure things are connected. Not sure what the tank flap is, or if 'air path' refers to anything specific, or is just a general condition.

As you note, these codes are pending. So, they may come and go on their own if they don't reach a critical level by the computer's standards.

I know that didn't add much but a common sense reiteration of the current situation, but it's about all I have to offer. Continue to monitor, do some good digging and visual inspections, and consider the smoke test.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ken

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news:
I drove my car to work today (in what, may I add, was some of the worst Ohio weather I've been in in a long time, especially for my Continental Sport Contact II tires), and total the round trip was about 27 miles, and when I got back to the garage, I ran my scanner, and I am still showing no codes currently. If there are still misfiring issues, when would the computer recognize them again and show them up on my peake tool?

P.S., when the weather gets a bit better I will go ahead and tackle the idle control valve issue, because I noticed my throttle does jump around a bit when I'm at rest (between about 800-1100 rpm's)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya know, I am going to tell you the truth, I was watching my tach as I warmed up my car yesterday to keep my battery in order, and it honestly does not seem to move around a lot. The needle tends to rest around 850-900 RPM's, with various fluctuations only every now and then, and if they occur, the needle barely moves +/- 50 RPM's. Do you think I should still take a look at the idle speed control valve?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I thought that the CEL would blink if the engine misfired.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I ran my Peake today after driving my car around a bit (I also changed the oil/filter yesterday afternoon, so I reset that one), and after running the codes, I now only have two codes coming up:

2742 - misfire cyl. 1

Oy, it's annoying, but at least it's gotten better than all the codes before. Any ideas on what might be causing this damn misfire? I plan on fixing the idle control valve in a few weeks when I get on a break in my school schedule.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, CEL is still not on at all. Hmmmm....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts