E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 323i - Passenger window worked fine, the other day it got stuck half way down. Hit the switch to bring it all the way up, it went up till about 2.5-3 inches just shy of the top. I think its registering that it is all the way up but in fact isn't, (opening and closing the door it moves, closing the door it moves up like its trying to seal the top)
Suggestions on if its the regulator or motor?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
2000 323i - Passenger window worked fine, the other day it got stuck half way down. Hit the switch to bring it all the way up, it went up till about 2.5-3 inches just shy of the top. I think its registering that it is all the way up but in fact isn't, (opening and closing the door it moves, closing the door it moves up like its trying to seal the top)
Suggestions on if its the regulator or motor?
If it moves at all it's not the motor. It will be the regulator. There are loads of vids on the net showing the DIY for this. There are also some posting offering a solution that doesn't involve replacing the regulator entirely. Check this out. Not watched it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPJJWXMNWw

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
My money is on a failed window regulator. If you hear any crunching sounds at all, STOP USING THE WINDOW else it will get stuck, usually all of the way down, but anywhere that's not all of the way up is problematic. Resist the urge of getting the El Cheapo Brand because it will fail again far sooner than the good one that you took a pass on.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
POINT OF ORDER
Your Profile states you have a 323i, which is the sedan. What you are describing is a coupe, because it drops and raises the window as the status of the door changes. Sedan or coupe is important for this particular problem, because the causes are different.

Do you have any unusual noises when the window moves up or down? If yes, then we're still on the window regulator. If no, then we can move to other issues.

There is an issue that's related to the window regulator that might not make noise. The window is attached to a cable which lifts it. The attachment point can break, and this will give the symptom you describe. No matter what the problem is, the cure requires you to remove the door panel and peel back the vapor barrier that is behind it. If the attachment point has failed, you can fix it with a zip tie to hold the cable into the holder thingy that is attached to the window. There is a ball-thing attached to the cable that fits into a socket on the window, the socket can break and the ball slips causing the window to not go all of the way up.

Whatever the problem, identification and repair requires the removal of the door panel so you can observe what is happening.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's probably the window regulator, but also check your battery voltage. I had a similar issue which was resolved by replacing the 8 year old battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot the C. Yes it is a coupe.

The battery issue could be it because two days prior to this happening i Helped my co worker jump start his car (windows worked fine before then)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My battery is less than 6 months old, but I did help jump start my co workers car with cables and two days later this window issue occured.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Put the window all of the way down.
Use the Manual Up feature to raise the window without stopping until it gets to the top. Do this while the door is closed. When you operate the window button, there is a detent (click) in the middle of the travel. Before you feel the click, the window is moving manually, after the click the window is moving automatically. You must raise the window before the click. Do not stop before the window gets to the top.
Lower the window all of the way.
Raise the window with the Auto Up feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put the window all of the way down.
Use the Manual Up feature to raise the window without stopping until it gets to the top. Do this while the door is closed. When you operate the window button, there is a detent (click) in the middle of the travel. Before you feel the click, the window is moving manually, after the click the window is moving automatically. You must raise the window before the click. Do not stop before the window gets to the top.
Lower the window all of the way.
Raise the window with the Auto Up feature.
The window will stop in the middle if i go all the way down then up.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
It's like pulling teeth ...

When you open and close the door, does the window drop/raise? The question is if the window stops because it hits an obstruction or if it thinks it has made the journey all of the way up. If it hits an obstruction, then it should not drop/raise when the door is opened/closed.

Also, when the window is up, can you physically grab the top of the glass and pull the window up. As the window is going up, is it level or does it tilt?

If you can lift the window or if it tilts, then you have a broken plastic thingy that attaches the window to the cable that raises it. The window regulator is a motor that turns a drum that has a cable wrapped around it. As the drum turns, the cable goes up and down, and the window is physically attached to it. You are describing the attachment has broken. That is, if you can move the window by hand, or the window tilts, then you are describing a broken attachment point. This is an easy fix with a zip tie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's like pulling teeth ...

When you open and close the door, does the window drop/raise? The question is if the window stops because it hits an obstruction or if it thinks it has made the journey all of the way up. If it hits an obstruction, then it should not drop/raise when the door is opened/closed.

Also, when the window is up, can you physically grab the top of the glass and pull the window up. As the window is going up, is it level or does it tilt?

If you can lift the window or if it tilts, then you have a broken plastic thingy that attaches the window to the cable that raises it. The window regulator is a motor that turns a drum that has a cable wrapped around it. As the drum turns, the cable goes up and down, and the window is physically attached to it. You are describing the attachment has broken. That is, if you can move the window by hand, or the window tilts, then you are describing a broken attachment point. This is an easy fix with a zip tie.
Got the door panel off to find that 1 out of the 4 10mm screws was replaced with a stripped torx bolt. Couldnt manage to get that one off and had to abandoned the fix.
Is it even possible to remove the regulator on a Ci ? It appeared to be pretty fit on the glass of the window.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts